• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Photochemically reactive paint...

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i opened up my own personal fabrication shop, and my favorite paint to use is van sickle enamel... i noticed on the can today that it says "photochemically reactive" what does this mean,is it possible that an IR element could speed up the drying process of this particular paint? and knowledge on this would be very helpful, this paint even when its 80 degrees out takes FOREVER to dry but its tough and doesnt bake in the sun which is why i like to use it. Thanks Guys!

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
It means you are painting on a solar panel material on the vehicle. Turning the whole vehicle into one big solar panel. :D

Tell the truth, I don't know, not a paint expert. It could mean that the sun ray's could alter the color toning or appearance when curing and that it needs to be placed/stored out of the sunlight.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd guess that it either requires the sunlight to cure, or needs to be absent of it.

Photochromic (if thats the word) is the stuff that changes colors in the light. Photovoltaic is the word used to describe the cells of solar panels that convert the energy of the photons into electricity.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I looked this up when I first saw the post...something about needing a clear coat to protect the paint from UV rays or it turns your truck into a Honda Accord with fart cans!

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I am not a paint expert. I did find this online:

photochemically reactive
http://www.autobodystore.com/glossary.shtml
Organic solvents that react with ultra violet light to form oxidants such as ozone and smog.

and this:

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Paint+Terminology+N+-+R
PHOTOCHEMICALLY REACTIVE:
• Organic solvents that react with ultra violet light to form oxidants such as ozone and smog.

So, my guess is that the paint will release solvents that cause smog or ozone during the drying process. And for sevral weeks after application. Probably can't even buy it in a number of states. :icon_cheers:

Ed

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, thanks guys, appreciate it!

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So, my guess is that the paint will release solvents that cause smog or ozone during the drying process. And for sevral weeks after application. Probably can't even buy it in a number of states.

Ed
That means it's the "good stuff". IMO, if it's dangerous, causes cancer(in California) and will kill you in 20 mins. or sooner if taken internally, that is the good stuff that will get the job done.

No BULL SHIT, environmental friendly crap, it is made to DO THE JOB, it says "I don't give a FOCK about the environment, I want performance and something that actually works"

I've read some scary warnings on Fuel tank leak stopper, it's a fiberglass patch you dip in this nasty stuff, the entire back of the box was filled with small print on how this stuff is deadly.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It means the sun will fade the paint.

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oilpatch197, i like your theory! this paint is definitely the good stuff!!

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
In simple terms it means the paint reacts (changes when exposed to light). Potentially that could mean that like UV, visible light, or IR could cause it to dry faster (like the fillings my dentist use which requires a UV light to cure).

Or it could mean that it fades when exposed to light (usually UV is the big issue) and thus a UV resistant clear coat would need to be used to avoid significant fading.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Photo reactive means that its not high on the scale for fade resistance from sunlight , wont hold up as long as a non photo reactive paint wheather it is color or clear, it will not hold up as well as the non reactive type, has nothing to due with wheather the quality is good or bad, figure about a 25% less life than a non reactive and red is one of the worst along with yellow. All paints will fade over time

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The only time I have seen the term "photochemically reactive" used is in relationship to the solvent used in the material. This relates to the "VOC" (volatile organic compound) content and creates smog when exposed to sunlight in the air. I don't think it has anything to do with the paint after it has dried or the cure/drying mechanism.

There are UV cure coatings but they are labeled as such.

Ranger1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im quite hopeful that it means it will dry faster when exposed to IR light, from my experience with the paint it doesnt fade very much when left in the sun, its an enamel and ive had it on my truck for 2 years or so now and i also have it on the gas tank of my bike... really great paint, only downside like i said is the long drying process. i suppose ill just get an IR light and test it out! itd be worth a shot

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Voc are solvents and aromatics they only require to be expose to the atmosphere not sunlight to evaporate, so there not photoreactives, yes they will evaporate faster with sun but thats do to higher temps, As far as fade most tests are on a 20 year life cycle, witch is done in some very extreme hot and cold temps. So your 2 years is nothing, go look at some of the older rangers that have a straight enamel paint there calky and faded, the most important thing is its a paint you like to use,and have learned to use, I can do paint jobs with cans that are as good as with a gun its knowing how to do good prep and how to spray a correct pattern

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The only time I have seen the term "photochemically reactive" used is in relationship to the solvent used in the material. This relates to the "VOC" (volatile organic compound) content and creates smog when exposed to sunlight in the air. I don't think it has anything to do with the paint after it has dried or the cure/drying mechanism.

There are UV cure coatings but they are labeled as such.
True!!

CA started this back in the seventies. The Air Force had to reformulate a number of coatings we used on a missile system when it was deployed to CA because they were "photochemically reactive" and would/could cause smog as they dried. It has nothing to do with how well the coating will protect or last once dry. Fading has to do with the oxidation of the pigments in the coating with time.

Ed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals