• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Under hood clearance for needed intake mod

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 94 3.0 5speed rwd. My oem intake tube is basically held together with electrical tape and now is the time to upgrade. I'm doing my own set up and am in need of clearance measurements from the original location of the oem tube between intake and airbox. I'm looking into running a 2.75" tube, will there be enough room for this or do I need to go another direction? I am on a strict tight budget and cold air intake kits are not an option at this time. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You already have a Cold Air Intake, just FYI

Yes, you can make a new air tube, and make it fit.
Popular DIY is using fiberglass cast material, very light weight and easy to work with, cheap :)
Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZdbiby7P4

Just put a board across from fender to fender to get clearance

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't know what the clearance is on the stock tube. How would you even measure that? I have a 3.0 inch tube on my intake, with a large stainless steel mesh cone filter on the end. Have to lift the tube a little every time
I install it to keep it from hitting the alternator pulley. It's never hit the hood.

This is an old picture, but still the same MAC intake. Just a different filter these days. Also replaced the sleeves with new black ones this year, and used T-Bar clamps on the entire intake. Sure is a lot of junk under the hood of these trucks. My Lightning looks so much cleaner.

Attachments

Last edited:

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Thanks for the info n replies! I am building a new intake tube n now have the info I need to get started. Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals