• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission stuck in gear

jkinga1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 86 ranger and put a 302 in it. i put a m5od-2 trans from an 89 f-150 i got from the junkyard. the trans shifted through all the gears when i got it after installing it it wont come out of 1st gear i havent even drove the truck yet and the driveshafts arent installed. nothing was dropped in it i had it covered the whole time it was out. the clutch wont disengage because i dont have the hydraulic line on it yet but the engine wont turn over with the trans on it now either.any help wpuld be appreciated

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you've got your input shaft in a bind. could be the clutch disc spline is binding or a problem with the pilot bearing. I'll bet if you back off all of the bell housing bolts it'll spring back away from the engine a little bit and you'll be able to shift the tranny.

jkinga1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks ill try that

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The engine won't turn over with no driveshafts and the transmission in gear?

The transmission is junk. It's in two gears at once. Even if the clutch were welded (along with the pilot bearing), the engine should still turn over.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The engine won't turn over with no driveshafts and the transmission in gear?

The transmission is junk. It's in two gears at once. Even if the clutch were welded (along with the pilot bearing), the engine should still turn over.
I HAVE THIS PROB WITH my 5 spd, I was told the keepers are bad. The redneck fix recommended to me was to pull the top half of the keeper and keep rolling. its gonna cost a ton either way, so why not. Im lokoing for a new tranny now but gonna try to run it if i can. auto's and manuals have specific differences, but at the same time the inner workigs are generally the same right? check the keepers.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
if you put the shifter on wrong you can engage two gears at once locking the tranny,doesn't hurt it if you haven't tryed to start it and let out the clutch. but you won't be going anywhere until you remove the shifter and use a screwdriver to put it in neutral.

if its just stuck in first the linkage may have a problem(sheared roll pin ?)

EDIT:if it really was just stuck in first it would still turn over. i bet you have two of the detents in the tranny both engaged(there are three rods and you must have two of them not centered in their travel)

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
if you put the shifter on wrong you can engage two gears at once locking the tranny,doesn't hurt it if you haven't tryed to start it and let out the clutch. but you won't be going anywhere until you remove the shifter and use a screwdriver to put it in neutral.

was this for me or the original poster? theres another post with same title for my probs, explaining more my problem. But this guy with automatic shifter shouldnt matter should it?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
was this for me or the original poster? theres another post with same title for my probs, explaining more my problem. But this guy with automatic shifter shouldnt matter should it?
the O.P. of course,his problem is assembly.not extremely worn shifter bushings or whatever you did to your tranny running it into the ground.

auto shifter- WTF?you are posting jibberish.hes got a 5 speed:icon_twisted:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the O.P. of course,his problem is assembly.not extremely worn shifter bushings or whatever you did to your tranny running it into the ground.

auto shifter- WTF?you are posting jibberish.hes got a 5 speed:icon_twisted:
My mistake, I'm still learning the nomenclatures for the ranger trannys, thought it was auto. And I didnt run mine into the ground I've had the truck three weeks. Read the other post.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I rebuild manual transmissions continuously and don't know what
you are refering to when you say "keeper".

AD

jkinga1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

EDIT:if it really was just stuck in first it would still turn over. i bet you have two of the detents in the tranny both engaged(there are three rods and you must have two of them not centered in their travel)
thanks for the info that was the problem the right side needed to be moved down and the left side up works fine now appreciate it

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
no prob,are you building a 2wd?should be fun!

jkinga1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its 4wd had to buy an adapter to go from m5od-2 to original ranger transfercase. the transfer case out of the f-150 wouldnt fit in the frame. it was a borg warner 1356.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals