• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Compression, no compression

bginn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4 cyl 2.3.
Engine has continued to lose power. At least it seems that way. Engine has eventually started missing at idle speeds and while coming to stops. Engine dies on occasion while at idle. This sypmtom doesn't appear as bad when engine is warmed up to normal operating temps. Sick and tired of the missing engine and lack of power so put in the shop. Mechanics have kept for about 2 weeks now. As per mechanic, Firing is in order, good plugs, timing ok, etc. Mechanic decides the head needs to be reworked and valves inspected. After all of this, still no fix. Swapped computers, still no fix. Mechanic says he is puzzled: "cylinder #1 & #2 is losing or has no compression on occasion." He says when cylinder #1 loses compression, cyl #2 has compression and is good and vice versa.
How can this be? Mechanic seems to be concerned and I have thought was a pretty good mechanic, but this has him puzzled, as well as his collegues. He seems to have run out of options for this compression issue. Any suggestions? More info. needed?

Thanks in advance.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
maybe try replacing....the mechanic? sounds like the guys grasping at straws

Young_unn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
5.0, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Mine is doing the same thing as i speak. its a pain when its cold and you cant get it past 15 mph

michowski

Reaction score
If you dont have any compression you need new rings at the least. If he has had it 2 weeks just to tell you your plugs and wires are good and the timing is ok then I would get it out of his shop asap. What was the compression reading he got? Should be 100psi minumum. More then likely you need new rings. If thats the case I would hone out the cylinders, replace the rings, main and rod bearings. Pistons to if you got the money.

Broncodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ask him if he did a leak down test.

Young_unn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
5.0, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
If you dont have any compression you need new rings at the least. If he has had it 2 weeks just to tell you your plugs and wires are good and the timing is ok then I would get it out of his shop asap. What was the compression reading he got? Should be 100psi minumum. More then likely you need new rings. If thats the case I would hone out the cylinders, replace the rings, main and rod bearings. Pistons to if you got the money.

Now mine may be different than his, not sure, but im eating coolant, Im thinking thats a sign or a bad head gasket, My oil isnt showing any foam on the cap or stick, and i dont burn oil (to my knowledge)

michowski

Reaction score
He never said anything about loosing coolant or oil so im figuring its rings. He also said the guys at the shop "reworked" the heads so im assuming that means they pulled em and replaced the gaskets. Have to wait till he responds to find out for sure.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What made the mechanic suspect the head needed work? WHAT work was done to the head? Is there written proof of inspections done by a qualified person? It sounds like this dude doesnt know what hes loking for. It takes a few hrs TOPS to do a preliminary diagnoses. Checking the ignition system and ignition timing is easy, if it all checked out ok, then it shouldnt have taken much time at all. there is a HUGE diference between having no compression what so ever, and having low compression. So get that cleared up. Oil in the cylinders will help creat a better seal with worn rings, so one can go on and on about therorys as to why the compression is coming and going. Me, id say his compression gauge has been droped a few to many times.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
young_unn Define eating coolent. Is it a leak when hot? does the exaust smell sweat? and you say you dont know if its eating oil...a good way to get a good handle on that is to check it, dayly

bginn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No coolant loss. Not any excessive oil use either, that I can tell. Not sure about the exhaust. There might have been a stronger smelling exhaust here lately, but not a sweet smell. I'm really not sure exactly what was done to the head other than just being "reworked".

Sounds like I do need to ask him a few questions though. I'll see him later today and ask about the "leak down test" and get the specifics about the head job.

Thanks y'all.
I'll keep you posted.

michowski

Reaction score
ask him what kind of psi reading he was getting. Get the ones from a cool test, hot test. Cool test is done with the motor cold. Hot is after its warmed up. I seriously thing instead of the reworking your engine he reworked your wallet more then anything.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya get some specific info about this reworking of the head. like, theres not a whole lot you can do without specialized heads. If cleaning and replacing the headgasket is his idea of re work, its time to get a real tech' working on that thing, not some mechanic

bginn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Talked to the mechanic. Still no solution. Says everyone is still bumfuzzled in the shop. As for the head: I'm told the valve seats (says there was a little seepage around the valves) were cleaned and the whole thing was checked to see if it was warped. I got the impression this was all that was done to the head.

The wallet hasn't been reworked yet. I'll give the guy another day and if the truck can be driven away, Ill probably take somewhere else.

michowski

Reaction score
I wouldnt even wait another day to be honest. If its taking him 2 weeks to tell you info that can be found out in a day then that right there should be enough to tell you he doesnt really know what he is doing. He might be good at labor like changing u joint or such but in this case I would take it else were. Thats just my opinion

michowski

Reaction score
Also if I were you I would invest in a compression gauage and start doing this yourself. Its a good time to learn and its obvious this isnt your DD because he has had it for a few weeks now. Disconnect the wire from the rotor so you dont get spark and check each cylinder cold first. Then let it run for about 10 minutes and then do it again. Also at this time you can check the gap of your plugs and read the plugs. A lot can be said by just looking at the bottom of a spark plug to determine if it runs hot, burns oil, lean, ect. They got many charts online that show how the plug will look in each situation. Dont be afraid to get your hands dirty here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals