• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

runs rough no power p0174 code

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
I've been having issues with my ranger for the past coupl days. I'm running out of ideas. I think I may have it narrowed down but I would like to get other opinions before I do anything else.

Ok, here is some background on the truck. Its a 97 Ranger 3.0 5spd. Just turned 180,000 miles. It has never given me any major problems until now. It is 100% stock.

It runs rough and has a miss from right off idle untill around 3,000 rpm. It gets worse if the motor is under load. I've had to do alot more downshifting than normal. It is worse on gas than normal. I scanned the CEL and it gave me p0174. Bank 2 lean (drivers side) I've cleared it several times and it still has a miss and after 10-25 miles the CEL comes back on. Sometimes the miss is hardly noticable while other times its terrible. It starts up like normal and doesn't stall or anything like that either.

Here is what I've done in the past two nights. I swapped out the coil pack with 2 different spares I had, neither made any difference. My plugs and wires were only about 6 months and 10,000 miles old. But I changed the plugs again anyway. 5 of the plugs looked normal and white but the back cylinder (#6) on the drivers side was black and carboned up. So I figured that is the cylinder that has the problem. I then changed fuel filter and ran a pressure test. I have 40psi @ the rail. I'm suppose to be between 35-45psi. I then cleaned the MAS and IAC sensors. That didn't help either. I checked the air intake tube for cracks and it is good. I then spayed several cans of starting fluid around the gasket areas of the upper and lower intakes and on all the vaccum lines I couldn't find any leaks. I do not have any exhaust leaks before the o2 sensors either. I then started thinking maybe my plug wire coule be bad. So I swapped the one from the cylinder #6 with a wires from a parts truck. Nither of the wires made a difference.

I'm running out of options as to what it could be. I doubt it is an o2 sensor causing this. I'm thinking that it's the injector but I could be wrong. I don't know of any way to test these and I don't want to just change it on a hunch. I'll have to pull the upper intake to swap it and I'd like to avoid buying gaskets and wasing time wrenching if it's not the problem.

If it is the injector, could I swap in one from a 94 4.0 engine? I have a whole set from a parts truck.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like you have done of good job of eliminating everything but the injectors, I would try to unplug the injectors while the truck is running & note the difference in how it idles, unplug one & the idle should get rougher, however if the injector is sticking or leaking like I think your seeing on #6 it could idle better for a second or so. Sometimes unplugging the injector can cause them to cycle harshly an possibly to dislodge a small obstruction. The other thing you could do is move the injector to another cylinder & see if the problem moves with the injector in question. If you do get it clear itself with unplugging the connector, I would strongly consider running some E-85 through it as well, 4-5 gallons of e-85 added to 3/4 tank of gas would be good cleaner for the fuel system & will not bother anything.

JP02XLT

Last edited:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never thought about trying to unplug it. It would be a PITA to just swap it with anotehr cylinder. The way the upper intake is made it covers the injectors on the drivers side. If I have to pull the intake I'm just going to change the injector. Whether it be a used 1 from the parts truck or 1 from a parts store.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I hear you on it being covered, just was not sure how your 3.0 looked compared to mine, hopefully better, but does not sound like it.

Good luck, These can sometimes be a real pain to figure out.

JP02XLT

bg@f.ord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do compression test on back cylinder (#6) on the drivers side.i'll pray 4 u:icon_thumby:

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, thats what I'm going to do before I tear the intake off.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I did a compression test and everything was good. :yahoo: So I than changed #6 injector and it cleared up and runs great. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals