• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why do both rear turn signals blink when the right side is turned on?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have a trailer wiring "T" in line with the tail lights connections? If so remove it, reconnect the factory plug back together and see what happens.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a trailer wiring "T" in line with the tail lights connections? If so remove it, reconnect the factory plug back together and see what happens.
The 90 Ranger doesn't have a trailer wiring kit attached to the wiring harness..

Do you have any other ideas that could be causing this problem to occur..

Charles (in GA)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, not much left. You've changed everything. Sounds like the wiring harness is pinched somewhere. Guy at work years ago bought a new Ranger, early or mid '90's if I recall. He had strange problems with the wipers working occasionally when they were not turned on, several other things. Dealers worked on it many times. Ford finally hauled it back to the factory to the rework shop, where they pulled the entire dash and found a major wiring harness pinched by a sharp edged piece of metal. Installed a new harness and truck was OK after that.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Filament in one of the bulbs has broken and fallen onto the other filament. This makes the blinking cross over to the other side via the parking light circuit.

Either replace the front turn signal/parking light bulbs and the rear turn/brake/parking bulbs or remove and inspect them all till you find the bad one.

Bad ground do cause weird things to happen, verify all grounds.

Charles
Why do both rear turn signals blink when the right side turn signal switch is turned on?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On my 90 ford ranger, both rear turn signals will blink when the right side turn signal switch is turned on, while the right front turn signal blinker blinks, ok, as it should..

The left front and left rear turn signal blinkers work fine when the left side turn signal switch is turned on?

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right turn signal switch blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side turn signal switch blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will light up and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal doesn't flash, while the brake pedal is being depressed and the rear brake lights will stay on..

While the turn signal flasher is clicking, as explained.. When I turn the heater blower motor's switch on, without the key in the on position.. Each time the turn signal flasher clicks, the heater blower motor will start up on each click the flasher makes and then stop between each click..

Another thing I also noticed is if I put on the emergency flashers they will work fine, until I depress the brake pedal..

Then the emergecncy flasher lights will stay on and stop flashing, as long as the brake pedal is depressed..

I've never had a problem like this, before..

What is the solution to this problem, when the right side turn signal switch blinker is turned on and both rear blinkers will start blinking?

Do you think the turn signal switch is faulty and is somehow crossing power over to the rear left side blinker, when the right side blinker is turned on?

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem, before, and know what needs to be done to fix it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing I've done, so far, has stopped both rear turn signals from flashing when I use the right turn signal..

I tried replacing all the front and rear turn signal bulbs..

I tried a different turn signal flasher..

I tried a different emergency signal flasher..

I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned it..

I tried using my other 89 Ranger's good working turn signal switch..

I've cleaned all the ground connections that I could find..

Every electrical connector that's under the the hood I've taken apart and cleaned and sprayed with WD/40..

I took the brake light switch off, and sprayed it with WD/40..

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side turn signal switch blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will come on and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal won't flash, while the brake pedal is depressed and the brake lights are on..

Another thing I also noticed is if I put on the emergency flashers they will work fine, until I depress the brake pedal..

Then the emergecncy flasher lights will stay on and stop flashing, as long as the brake pedal is depressed..

If anyone else has had a problem like this, before, what did you find was causing it..

I still haven't been able to figure this out, yet..

If anyone reading this is smart enough to be able to figure this problem out, and know what has to be done to fix it..

I'd like to find out the solution, so I can get this very frustrating problem fixed..

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see how this could be anything else but the switch. Disconnect the switch and then put 12v to the wire at the connector that feeds the left rear brake light, see what happens. Then remove 12v from left wire and connect 12v to wire that feeds right rear brake light, see what happens.

As a side note, if the 4 ways are on and you push the brake pedal it's normal for them to stop flashing (unless you have the amber rear turns).

redneck_rainey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0ltr
Transmission
Automatic
could it be possible that the brake light switch was causing a short, the whole thing with the brake being pressed is weird...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
could it be possible that the brake light switch was causing a short, the whole thing with the brake being pressed is weird...
At first I thought it was the turn signal switch, too, that was causing all these problems, as I mentioned..

So, I took a good working turn signal switch from my other Ranger which is a 89, and put it in my 90 Ranger to see if would solve the electrical issues I am having..

But it didn't, all the electrical problems are still doing exactly the same things, as before, when the original 90 Ranger turn signal switch was being used..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Even when I've disconnected both the wires going to my 90 Ranger's brake light switch, both rear turn signals will blink, at the same time, when I turn on my right turn signal switch..

When I turn on the left side turn signal switch, the front and rear left turn signal blinkers will work, ok..

But, the problems as mentioned, before, still remain when I use the right side turn signal switch..

Is it a possibility that a head light switch, or ignition switch could be causing these unusual problems, as discussed..

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The brake light switch is before the turn signal switch. disconnect the turn signal switch and do what I suggested in my previous post and tell us what happens. Other than the turn signal switch the only other place the wires are switched is the four ways switch. You need to localise the area or you will never find it.

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
i just kinda browsed through this thread so if i'm repeating a reply by someone else, please pardon.

i believe the emergency flashers staying on when pressing the brake pedal is the way the system is designed to operate.

yeah, not much help from me in this post.
i think i'm going to re-read from the start to see how much i'm embarrassing myself.

back in a few to edit.:D

edit: my apologies to you martin, you were already on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see how this could be anything else but the switch. Disconnect the switch and then put 12v to the wire at the connector that feeds the left rear brake light, see what happens. Then remove 12v from left wire and connect 12v to wire that feeds right rear brake light, see what happens.

As a side note, if the 4 ways are on and you push the brake pedal it's normal for them to stop flashing (unless you have the amber rear turns).
I tried using a perfectly, good working turn signal switch, from my 89 Ranger, for trying to resolve this probelm, and both rear turn signals still are flashing on my 90 Ranger, as before, when I put on the right turn signal switch..

I tried disconnecting the brake light switch harness connector, the headlight switch harness connector, disconnected both harness connectors to the dash instrument panel, and both rear turn signals still are flashing on my 90 Ranger, as before, when I put on the right turn signal switch..

I used a test light for checking the 7 wire harness connector that plugs into the turn signal switch..

When I turn on the right side turn signal switch, 5 wires will flash of the 7 wires on the harness connector that plugs into the turn signal switch and both rear turn signals will flash, until I push on the brake pedal, and they both will stop flashing..

When I turn on the left side turn signal switch, 3 wires will flash of the 7 on the wire harness connector that plugs into the turn signal switch and the front and rear left turn signals will work perfectly..

After taking out the right side, rear turn signal bulb from the socket..

I connected the test light's alligator clip to the right side, rear turn signal's socket 3rd wire ground, and probed the inside of the socket's two contacts, testing for current..

My test light would flash, on one of socket's inside's two contacts, when the right turn signal switch was on..

Even when the right side turn signal bulb was out of it's socket, when the right side turn signal switch was on, when I was testing the right side tail light socket with my test light, the left side rear turn signal light was still continuing to flash..

If anyone can figure this problem out, and knows how to resolve this issue, I'd like to find out what needs to be done to get my Ranger's rear tail lights working, again..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Even when I took out the right sides front and rear turn signal bulbs from their sockets, the left rear turn signal light will flash, when the ride side turn signal switch is on..

I even cut off the 3 wires going to the right sides rear tail light socket, several inches before the socket, incase it was a bad light bulb socket, and the left sides rear turn signal light would still continue to flash, when the right sides turn signal switch is on..

Is it possible that my Ranger's ignition switch could be defective, that might be causing these rear turn signal light problems..

Last edited:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Have you tried replacing the directional switch in the steering column ?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried replacing the directional switch in the steering column ?
I've already tried using a good working turn signal switch from a 89 Ranger in my 90 Ranger to see if that would solve the rear turn signal light problems I'm having in my 90 Ranger, but it didn't help any..

The rear right side turn signal problem is still the same, as before, which is that both rear turn signals flash when the right turn signal switch is used..

Does anyone have a good link for a 87 to 90 Ranger's Ignition Switch Replacement with all the steps used and with illustrated pictures..

How long does it usuallly take to do this, and do you need to lower the steering column and take out the cylinder lock, also, to disconnect the rod that goes from there into the ignition switch, during the installation of a new ignition switch..

A link that I read from, http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...linder.870128/, (Says) ~ Some of the symptoms of ignition switch problems are things that don’t work or are intermittent like radio, turn signals, wipers or heater.

(It also said) ~ There was a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire. That burns up the steering column and sometimes the car interior. Since this is very old information, you may not be able to get the switch replaced for free anymore. The auto parts stores sell the switches for $13-$15.

Being I've tried about everything else to try and get my 90 Ranger's turn signals working correctly, again..

Does anyone else think that, maybe, my 90 Ranger's ignition switch could be causing my turn signal problems, as discussed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nothing I've done, so far, has stopped both rear turn signals from flashing when I use the right turn signal..

I tried replacing the front and rear bulbs..

I tried a different turn signal flasher..

I tried a different emergency signal flasher..

I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned it..

I tried my other 89 Ranger's turn signal switch..

I've cleaned all the ground connections that I could find..

Every electrical connector that's under the the hood I've taken apart cleaned and sprayed with WD/40..

I took the brake light switch off and sprayed it with WD/40..

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will come on and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal won't flash, while the brake pedal is depressed and the brake lights are on..

If anyone else has had a problem like this, before, what did you find was causing it..

Why do both rear turn signals blink when the right side is turned on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my 90 ford ranger, both rear turn signals will blink when the right side is turned on, while the right front blinker blinks ok..

The front and back blinkers work fine when the left side blinker is turned on?

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, passenger's side, turn signal light and the right side turn signal indicator light on the dash, will light up and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal doesn't flash, while the brake pedal is being depressed and the rear brake lights will stay on..

While the turn signal flasher is clicking, as explained.. When I turn the heater blower motor's switch on, without the key on.. Each time the turn signal flasher clicks, the heater blower motor will start up on each click the flasher makes and then stop between each click..

What is the solution to this problem, when the right side blinker is turned on and both rear blinkers will start blinking?

Do you think the turn signal switch is faulty and is somehow crossing power over to the rear left side blinker, when the right side blinker is turned on?

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem, before, and know what needs to be done to fix it?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals