• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Fluid Change and now?...won't shift gears! HELP

JSL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1999 Ford Ranger XLT, V6 3.0L Automatic - I performed a transmission fluid change today and when starting vehicle to back off ramps the truck would not shift into reverse or any other gear. What could I have done wrong when removing pan and old filter, then replacing with new filter and bolting pan back on? I have not put any fluid in yet. I reset PCM by removing negative post connector for 20 minutes on battery, nothing. Please help! Thanks, Jennier

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Seriously?

No fluid in an automatic transmission means it will not move. Stop trying to drive it without fluid in it, you will burn it up.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You probably already burned something up just by trying to move it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OUCH, How did you check fluid level while unlevel on ramps, is there an APP for that?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Add atf until it reaches just above the full mark then start it set the ebrake and shift into neutral then check it again running in neutral. You dont want to overfill and as the tranny warms up the fluid will expand so keep it just below full for a bit then take it for a road trip. after about half hour of running it check that the level is full once again running in neutral. I dont imagine you hurt anything unless you run the engine at high rpms or got it too hot running without oil for too long. All you can do is add oil and hope for the best. GL

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Add atf until it reaches just above the full mark then start it set the ebrake and shift into neutral then check it again running in neutral. You dont want to overfill and as the tranny warms up the fluid will expand so keep it just below full for a bit then take it for a road trip. after about half hour of running it check that the level is full once again running in neutral. I dont imagine you hurt anything unless you run the engine at high rpms or got it too hot running without oil for too long. All you can do is add oil and hope for the best. GL
Yep what he said^^^^ and lets hope for the best.

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1999 Ford Ranger XLT, V6 3.0L Automatic - I performed a transmission fluid change today and when starting vehicle to back off ramps the truck would not shift into reverse or any other gear. What could I have done wrong when removing pan and old filter, then replacing with new filter and bolting pan back on? I have not put any fluid in yet. I reset PCM by removing negative post connector for 20 minutes on battery, nothing. Please help! Thanks, Jennier
That's what you "did wrong"....the statement in red.

The fluid in an auto trans is what makes the parts inside do what they do. It's called "hydraulic pressure".

jhammel85

Why would you move it without fluid?

Fill it up and hope for the best...I really hope that you didn't burn it up.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've backed mine off of ramps after draining the fluid from my stickshift just to get it in a better position for refilling it. Maybe that's what the OP was trying to do? (just giving the benefit of the doubt here)
As has been said, that doesn't work so well with an automatic.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Manuals are a completely different animal. Still you shouldn't run either without fluid ever ever ever ever!

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Automatic transmissions require, get this, fluid pressure to even pretend to go into gear. No fluid, no pressure, not force available to engage the clutch set and move the vehicle.

If you didn't sit there revving it for 20 minutes, just threw it in gear and tried to move a little (why would you even consider putting it in a forward gear if the truck is already on ramps?) then you probably didn't damage anything. When replacing transmissions at work I usually only have 1 or 2 qts in the pan when I start them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals