• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for truck to tow 5th wheel

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I didnt know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. My family has recently purchased a 40 foot, 5th wheel everest. Im looking for a truck that can safely tow it. The GVWR is 14,080. Could a 3/4 ton truck handle it safely?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would be looking for a dual rear wheel 1 ton personally for something that big. Preferably diesel.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
look for a truck with the longest wheelbase you can afford. A dually couldnt hurt either. Id be looking for at least a ext cab long bed, but if it were me the least id be looking at was a crew cab long bed. 2wd would be better for the open road, less dead weight to lug around if you dont need it. The longer the wheelbase the more stability and control you will have over the trailer. A dually is only gonna add to the ability of the rear of the truck to control the lateral stability of the load.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Yea, lateral stability is my biggest concern. I've towed trailers up to 20 foot, but they were all open trailers. I've never tow an enclosed trailer before. I keep hearing that it's alot different, towing an enclosed trailer because of the wind factor that it has on it. I just want to be as safe as possible.

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
towing

I tow a 33 towhauler with slides with my 2003 ford f250 single wheel truck with a 4" lift and 35" tire and it tows great. Not sure what it ways with the rig and all the gear but its pretty heavy. I did put air bags on the back to help the truck not sag, But i wouldnt of had to. I also but the banks big hoss kit on it to but that was just for fun.

Last edited:

tlandreth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
We tow ours with a 2008 Dodge 2500 4 door, short bed 4x4. It has no problem towing the trailer anywhere and has plenty of power. My dad doesn't want a Ford Super Duty until something as reliable as the 7.3 comes back. A fifth wheel hitch will very easily clear the bed, however if you want to put alot of material in the bed, the long bed would be best.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
I really want a 2500 dodge, because ive become a big fan of the cummings diesel. But, I wasnt sure how a single rear wheel truck would handle that big of a load. Ive got a buddy that pulls a 33 or 35 footer with a 2500 silverado, but he even recommeded I get a dual rear wheel truck. Thats why I was asking for your guys input.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We tow ours with a 2008 Dodge 2500 4 door, short bed 4x4. It has no problem towing the trailer anywhere and has plenty of power. My dad doesn't want a Ford Super Duty until something as reliable as the 7.3 comes back. A fifth wheel hitch will very easily clear the bed, however if you want to put alot of material in the bed, the long bed would be best.
Sadly, due to emissions, all hope of an engine as good as the 7.3 has gone down the drain...

I really want a 2500 dodge, because ive become a big fan of the cummings diesel. But, I wasnt sure how a single rear wheel truck would handle that big of a load. Ive got a buddy that pulls a 33 or 35 footer with a 2500 silverado, but he even recommeded I get a dual rear wheel truck. Thats why I was asking for your guys input.
Just for reference, it is not a "Cummings", it is a "Cummins", no "G".

You oughta just get a Dodge 3500, Cummins, Crew Cab (Or whatever dodge calls their crew cab) dually diesel, and call it good. You really can't beat that combo. You could also add an exhaust brake or an engine brake to the truck once you get it, however, Chevy's tow/haul mode does well at slowing the truck down also.

tlandreth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
A 2500 Dodge 4x4 can handle a 40ft Montana fifth wheel very easily. The width of a dually was the deviding factor for us. I personally like the 2009 model F350 SRW as well as the Dodge 3500 SRW.

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
Just for reference, it is not a "Cummings", it is a "Cummins", no "G".
Ha, I didnt even noticed I did that. Thanks for the spell check.

I did some research on the differences between the Ram 2500 and 3500. Not much other than the 3500 comes with a bigger axle, bigger brakes, and an extra leaf spring in the pack. Which doesnt sound like much but its an like extra 2200-3000 GVWR. Im leaning more towards the 3500 because, its more stable with dual wheels, and it has more GVWR which would give more peace of mind.

tlandreth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just be cautious of where you park with a dually. Even when I'm driving my dad's 2500, I park where the parking lot is less congested, because I don't want it to get dings and scratches in it. The 3500 SRW isnt a dually, however it does have the stronger breaks and the extra leaf spring. It is basically a 2500 on steriods.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just be cautious of where you park with a dually. Even when I'm driving my dad's 2500, I park where the parking lot is less congested, because I don't want it to get dings and scratches in it. The 3500 SRW isnt a dually, however it does have the stronger breaks and the extra leaf spring. It is basically a 2500 on steriods.
Usually aside from the obvious wheels, axle and bed SRW and DRW are the same truck. SRW has a slightly higher weight rating, same as the DRW but minus the weight of the duals.

Personally I would rather have a motorhome than a truck and a trailer...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you get the cummins' get a 6sp....

I personally throw a vote out there for a 92-96 F350 Crew with a 460.....I love my big gassers :)

later,
Dustin

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
id go with a 95 to 97 f350 dually with 7.3 diesel. thats what im looking for my tow rig. my buddy has 3 of them one on 40s. you can bank all kinds of power with these with just a few mods

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If your keeping it stock though the 460 is a actually stronger, you wont get the mileage, but you'll have the power, pllus gas is 50 cents cheaper the liquid coal right now, atleast here.

later,
Dustin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals