• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Vibration at 35 to 45 mph.

codered1300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, i was doing my normal inspection and noticed my carrier bearing rubber was in pretty bad shape, so i replace the bearing. After replacing it i got a real bad vibration so i figured i'd take the shaft and have it balanced incase i accidently did something to the shaft while replacing the C.B. i also had all new joints installed in it. Now that took all the vibration out except for the vibration at 35 to 40 m.p.h. It does it on acceration or deacceration. I checked on motoralldata for a T.S.B. but found none. Any helpor suggestions would be helpful. Oh yeah my truck is all stock with 145,000 miles. replaced shocks not long ago. I also have newer tires that i also had balanced.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just because a shop balanced the tires doesnt mean they did it right.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
It probably didn't look this bad yet though...

Check to make sure you installed it correctly. Are you obsolutely sure you got the right part AND the model number? When I replaced the CB back in January @ 170,xxx miles, the guy @ Autozone ordered a CB for the ranger. There is actually an option #2 for the ranger, which was my specific application. It said on his screen "Bring part in for comparison."

Another is to double-check the carrier bearing connection to that crossmember on the frame. The 2 bolts (were they 12 mm?) need to be properly secured, or that vibration could occur. The seating on the driveshaft could also not be properly installed (not calling you incompetant, just check it).

The Haynes manual (IIRC) said to mark the driveshaft on the differential flange. I don't know why this would make a difference, but I marked it and put it back in the same place just to be sure. How does the slip yoke look (this really shouldnt be causing too much vibration either though)?

codered1300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It probably didn't look this bad yet though...

Check to make sure you installed it correctly. Are you obsolutely sure you got the right part AND the model number? When I replaced the CB back in January @ 170,xxx miles, the guy @ Autozone ordered a CB for the ranger. There is actually an option #2 for the ranger, which was my specific application. It said on his screen "Bring part in for comparison."

Another is to double-check the carrier bearing connection to that crossmember on the frame. The 2 bolts (were they 12 mm?) need to be properly secured, or that vibration could occur. The seating on the driveshaft could also not be properly installed (not calling you incompetant, just check it).

The Haynes manual (IIRC) said to mark the driveshaft on the differential flange. I don't know why this would make a difference, but I marked it and put it back in the same place just to be sure. How does the slip yoke look (this really shouldnt be causing too much vibration either though)?
I sent my shaft to a driveshaft shop and had them check it, (i know the guy) and they checked it and welded new weights on it so it was out of balance. I did replace the bolts that hold the CB down so i know there tight, as far as the right bearing, i also bought mine at autozone it waws the timken bearing i'm not sure of the p/n though. I guess thats my next option is to take the bearing back and try another one. Thanks for the response.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I tried the P/N 6061 for $27.99. Seemed to fit perfectly...

You driveshaft was off THAT much? Glad you got it looked at...

codered1300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Pete, by the looks of your rangers bottomside it looks as rusty as mine, they don't use salt in Huston do they?

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HI,

It sounds like the carrier bearing isn't centered properly. It only moves about 1/4" so you wouldn't think it would matter, but Mine vibrated like crazy when I first replaced my bearing. When I loosened it I found that it had slipped all the way to the passenger side when I tightened it up. So I held it centred and tryed again, The vibration was reduced, but still there, so I pulled it as hard left(drivers side) as I could and now it is back to like before I changed the bearing. there is still a slight vibration, so I don't know if I need to slot mine and move it more, or If I'm getting into tire vibration now. I was too lazy to pull the wheels and was out of time, but i was amazed at how sensitive the truck was to this adjustment. I'm going to look for a one piece and swap it out.

codered1300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
HI,

It sounds like the carrier bearing isn't centered properly. It only moves about 1/4" so you wouldn't think it would matter, but Mine vibrated like crazy when I first replaced my bearing. When I loosened it I found that it had slipped all the way to the passenger side when I tightened it up. So I held it centred and tryed again, The vibration was reduced, but still there, so I pulled it as hard left(drivers side) as I could and now it is back to like before I changed the bearing. there is still a slight vibration, so I don't know if I need to slot mine and move it more, or If I'm getting into tire vibration now. I was too lazy to pull the wheels and was out of time, but i was amazed at how sensitive the truck was to this adjustment. I'm going to look for a one piece and swap it out.

Hey thanks for the info, i replaced the originial bolts with a bolt and nut, so maybe i did the same thing, i will be sure to try that. Thanks

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I need to replace my center carrier bearing this weekend, how does the shaft come out/go back through it? Does it need to be pressed?

codered1300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I need to replace my center carrier bearing this weekend, how does the shaft come out/go back through it? Does it need to be pressed?

No it doesn't need pressed, just use a hammer to get it off and the center nut to draw it back on the shaft. Word of advise take something and mark everything so you put it back together the same way. I had to replace the 2 bolts with standard bolts and nuts that hold the C.B. to the crossmember.

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
No it doesn't need pressed, just use a hammer to get it off and the center nut to draw it back on the shaft. Word of advise take something and mark everything so you put it back together the same way. I had to replace the 2 bolts with standard bolts and nuts that hold the C.B. to the crossmember.

Thanks for the info, now the hard part is getting the mount off in the first place... nice and chunky from northeast winters.

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know which carrier bearing fits which models?
I'd like to get one before taking off the old to minimize down time.
I see two listed at most places,
DSSS211590-1X
Ford Rangers
Bearing I.D. = 1.188 inch
Center to Center of Bolt
c-c Holes = 6 inch

and this one

DSSS211431X
Ford Rangers
Bearing I.D. = 1.259 inch
Center to Center of Bolt
c-c Holes = 6 inches

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check your drive shaft bolts mine worked loss and caused a hell of a vibration

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals