• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ranger won't shift into 4WD hi or low

filloder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I,m a newbee on this 4WD repair stuff. try to switch into 4wd nothing. I hear a click in the dash module works? Thinking locking hubs. they say only work for vacumn hub how do I know what i have?

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, 98-00 Rangers have vacuum hubs. They're prone to failure, which is probably what happened to you. I did this to my 99 Ranger when it wouldn't shift into 4WD:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Apr04/offroad.htm

That will work and will get your 4WD back. The proper way would be to just get some manual locking hubs, like this:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AVM_hub_swap.htm

I finally put these manual hubs in my Ranger, and it worked like a champ. No more worrying about whether or not your 4WD will work. I highly recommend it. You can find the hubs on eBay or Tellico 4x4's website.

farRanger1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you ever thought about converting your transfer case to manual shift rather than electronic? Do you think it would even be worth it? I ask because my electronic shift has never worked and that is something that I thought about trying and am just collecting opinions...

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You def could. That would be the more expensive way to go. However, I don't know if it'd be totally worth it, since the failure point in the 98-00 systems is the hubs and not really the transfer case. The motor on the transfer case does fail sometimes, but that is usually due to just dirt getting in there, and they just need cleaned. I guess it really comes down to if you have the time and money to do the swap.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I,m a newbee on this 4WD repair stuff. try to switch into 4wd nothing. I hear a click in the dash module works? Thinking locking hubs. they say only work for vacumn hub how do I know what i have?
Does the light for 4x4 high or low come on on the dash? If not it's not the hubs (well they might still be bad but that's a different issue) and probably something more along the lines of the motor in the t-case. My hubs don't work but I can engage 4x4 high and low still.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals