• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford 2.3 crankshaft position sensor

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello, does anyone here have any experience with these? i know the wiring goes up under the timing cover for this, but where does it come out and plug into? is it hard to change? my engine is spitting and sputtering at almost all speeds now, and codes say it is this. any help appreciated.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
try keeping it all in one thread. no need for 3 threads on one problem. Changing the sensor isn't the easiest thing. bout as hard as doing a timing belt, which you might as well do while you're in there. You'll need to take the timing belt cover and crank pulley off to get to the sensor. you'll see it's attached with 2 small bolts. some people insist on using the alignment tool when installing the new one. I personally didnt use one and haven't had troubles but that may be just luck.

Anyways if you dont have access to the tool you can use something like a buisness card or feeler guages when installing the new sensor to make sure it has an even gap on both sides. Once you start getting into it you'll understand what i mean. good luck. :)

Last edited:

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, so where does the other end of it plug in at? i know the wiring goes behind the timing cover, but where does it come out and plug in?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
it dosen't "plug in" on both ends. one end is the crank sensor the other end goes to the wiring harness. it dosen't come out either. it's bolted to the block behind the timing cover.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the other end of the wire is under the intake manifold, there's one single wire connector and a 4 wire connector that are in the same loom.

at first glance you would have to take the rear timing belt cover off to change the sensor assuming you get a sensor that isn't just a pigtail to splice in. you can put the new sensor in without taking the cover off if you pull the wires out of the 4 wire connector, push the wires under the cover then put them back in the connector. If you are lucky, the replacement sensor has the same wire colors in the same location as what your engine originally had. To pull the wires out of the connector, use some small pliers and pull out the red wedge from the connector then release the latches on the wire terminals with a needle tool.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, so since you guys have both changed them, what were the symptoms of them going bad on your trucks?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A bad CPS will throw the timing off. You might throw a code. You will have fuel and spark and it will not start

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I changed mine b/c i had the engine apart on the bench- cheap insurance. so no symptoms. But i have had 2 cam sensors go bad, and the truck just bucks like crazy and dosen't run very well. I'd imagine the CPS would have about the same effect.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, now here is the next problem. i gave the codes that came up already for pip failure and cylinder id failure. now i find out that i also have a cam position sensor which i found under the intake. goes on with 2 screws. so how do i tell which sensor is bad and causing this problem? they both have to do with timing, correct?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok, now here is the next problem. i gave the codes that came up already for pip failure and cylinder id failure. now i find out that i also have a cam position sensor which i found under the intake. goes on with 2 screws. so how do i tell which sensor is bad and causing this problem? they both have to do with timing, correct?
we need details, details, details..........update your vehicle profile so it looks like mine..............GIVE US THE ACTUAL CODE #'S YOU GOT...............the camshaft positioning sensor is more of a fine tuning of the timing. I think the truck will run if you disconnect it.......they did not start adding them until 95, 94 in califonria

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there. it is updated. this truck is a 94 and DEFINATELY has the camshaft position sensor. anyway, the codes we are talking about here are 211 and 214. these are the ones i need to fix. i have already fixed 121, 157, 158, 332, and 556 by replacing tps, maf, and egr valve. that should help you out. thanks guys, matt

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
unplug the cam sensor and see if it gets better. Sounds like you have a california truck like me. It's a real pain to change. but it's not necessary for the truck to run. just unplugg it and see what happens. if it gets better, then you know.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
cam sensor is more for fuel injection timing, crank sensor is more for timing, so a misfire issue would most likely be a crank sensor.

my symptoms were random misfire then one day it died on me, 4 hours later it started but still had a random misfire, replaced coil pack and ignition module and problem was still there, the last component was the crank sensor...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
that was an expensive crank sensor... haha.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
there. it is updated. this truck is a 94 and DEFINATELY has the camshaft position sensor. anyway, the codes we are talking about here are 211 and 214. these are the ones i need to fix. i have already fixed 121, 157, 158, 332, and 556 by replacing tps, maf, and egr valve. that should help you out. thanks guys, matt
excellant........now what are your symptoms?...................Do you use any 2 way radios or similar electronic devices around the truck?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals