• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 FX4 Level II

LGHTNG02GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i tried searching here and all over the web for the 2003 Ford Ranger production numbers and cant really find anything solid. so far i have only seen a number of 517 trucks in 2003 with the Level II packge :icon_surprised: but that seems awfully low to me. I realize they were a bit pricey back when they were new (my window sticker is nearly 27K!) but I figured there would be at least a few thousand of them out there, not a few hundred. i went ahead and emailed Ford's customer research department with my VIN and i will wait to see what they say, but in the mean time, what do any of you guys know about this subject ??? :icon_cheers:

LGHTNG02GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i got my 1st response from Ford. They are claiming to have produced 244,233 Rangers in the 2003 Production year. Since they didnt really asnwer the part I was mainly after, I put in another request to the crc. I have also seen that 3% of trucks had the FX4 package, which would put numbers some where in the 7,000 range. that is a more believeable figure.

AMMazar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On a side note. I am looking at an 03 ranger that they place says is an fx4 but it has an auto. everything I have seen seems to only show an manual trans option. Was the auto even available, and if so, how many of them had an auto?

Thanks and sorry for jacking the thread.

LGHTNG02GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^its not a problem. i got another response and they cant tell me how many were sold with that package. they basically said it would be too much hassle to keep track of all the trim levels going out the door and only have a number on entire production for the year. its sooo easy to get these numbers for an SVT vehicle, i figured my truck wouldnt be that much to ask.

&&as for your question, the VIN wont lie. if its a real FX4 Level II, that will reflect it. look for small things, the front skid plate and tow hooks, bilstein shocks, the seats/interior, the alcoa's ect...
i have seen a truck or two advertised with the FX4 package and an auto, but have no idea if the were legitimate

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dont know about 2003 but my family owns 2, 2004 fx4 level 2's both with automatics

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Most FX4 LII were automatics. I know when I was looking for an 02 FX4, it was not easy to find one with the manual transmission. In 03 there is a FX4 model that is a slight upgrade to the standard XLT but does not have the upgrades of the FX4 LII.

LGHTNG02GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there is a user on here with an 03 FX4 L II. its a badass red truck and its got an automatic so i would say that they were made and are out there. i was on the hunt for my truck for about two months and i had to go outside of pennsylvania for it. originally i wanted a sonic blue 03 with manual trans/transfer case but i had to settle for a white one once i figured out how tough it was for me to find one for a good deal.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my dad's got an '03 fx4 level II with a manual trans and t-case (sonic blue too, btw)

when he was looking for a new truck back in mid '04, his only requirements were that it were a 4x4 ranger with manual trans and tcase. the only truck he could find within a reasonable distance was this one, it had been sitting on the lot for a while.

LGHTNG02GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^tell your dad he has probably one of the most bad ass rangers ever made lol. i see it gets used properly too, as was mine. i found a mud and grass mixture caked everywhere under my truck. even jammed between the frame rail and fuel filter. i know that sumbitch was in some deep stuff.

zFinster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What would the difference between FX4, and FX4II ?

LGHTNG02GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^the FX4 L II's had forged alcoa wheels and 31x10.5R15 BFG a/t's along with bilstein shocks, a torsen limited slip, my truck has clotch seats with red inserts and silver face gauges. my truck also got a 5 speed with a manual shift transfer case. a few other small things (tow hooks and shifter bezel) come to mind as well. all from the factory. my truck had an msrp of nearly 27K

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
What would the difference between FX4, and FX4II ?
The original FX4 Ranger came out in '02. Bilstein shocks, Alcoa wheels, Torsen diff, chrome tow hooks. At that time there was also an Off-Road Package Ranger (I used to have one). The '02 ORP had HD shocks (not Bilsteins), skidplates but not a front skidplate, fog lights, and 16" wheels with A/T tires. The ORP did not come standard with a limited-slip but it was a separate option. Mine had one and it was listed separately on the window sticker. Somehow the factory packed it exceptionally tight and it would chirp the inside rear tire turning corners in town. It was entirely badass off-road too, as some people here may remember from our trips to Wellsville. :headbang:

Now then....in '03 the Off-Road Package became the FX4 with the inclusion of a regular limited-slip rear. The '02 FX4 became the '03-up FX4 Level II with the Bilsteins, Torsen, and all the good stuff.

For the first few years the '02 FX4/'03-up Level II came with a manual t-case IF you got a manual transmission. Automatics got the regular Ranger electric shift t-case and I'm pretty sure in later years they all got the electric shift t-case. All along the vast majority were automatics because dealers stock very few manuals in anything since the market is limited.

To summarize:
'98-'02 Off-Road (mostly) = '03-up FX4
'02 FX4 = '03-up FX4 Level II
There were some minor equipment changes over the years but that's basically how it works.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
31 spline 8.8" with a torsen LSD is the biggest change on the level II's.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my '03 FX4 Level II, auto, in the early summer of 2003. A manual trans was standard, automatic was an upgrade. I believe if you got the manual, you got manual transfer case. If you elected to get the auto, you got electronic shift knob on dash transfer case. That's my recollection at least.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The automatic may cost more but I don't consider it an upgrade. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals