• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight adjustment

puty72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
1989 ford ranger 2.9 xlt 4x4

I was wondering how to adjust my headlights because they are shining in different directions.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Two adjusters on each headlight unit. You'll see the heads sticking out. They are very very small hex head shafts that run down to the adjuster gear.

S-

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LOOKS OK TO ME :icon_twisted:

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found this and thought it was funny :D

"Well, here's what my brother does. He adjusts both headlights up and to the left as far as they can go. Then, every day he moves them a quarter turn down and to the right. And when people in oncoming vehicles stop giving him the finger and cursing at him as they pass, he figures he's getting pretty close. "

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Here's the really sad part. Keeping in mind I used to turn a wrench 20 or so years ago for a living.

Replaced both headlight assys due to the yellowing problem being so severe no amount of 'refinishing' kits would touch it. (and I tried several).

Went to the local dealership (they actually have the cheapest labor rates) to get a hand pulling the diff plug due to it being seized. I figured I would have them align the headlights the correct way and save the headache.

The "tech" had to heat the diff plug and it finally broke free. Good fluid and he put anti-seize on it when reinstalled. Then he pulled out the very DUSTY "Hoppy" headlight aim set.

Anyone want to guess who trained him that day on how to calibrate and adjust the headlights correctly?

The shop manager didn't charge me a cent for the 60 minutes I spent working with the young "Tech" showing him how to calibrate---use the blue rod attachements--and the internal mirrors to gain the right aim. I told the shop manager these Hoppy tools are perhaps the most under-rated $$ maker a shop can have. 20-30 minute charge to align headlights..and about 70% of all cars/trucks? Have bad headlight aim. I used to do this procedure about 8 times a day at the shop I worked at. (NYS inspection at the time (not sure now...no longer an inspector for 20 years) required headlight aim checked and repaired).

And people came back within a few days to THANK ME because now they see the road at night--and not the corn fields.

S-

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replaced both headlight assys due to the yellowing problem being so severe no amount of 'refinishing' kits would touch it. (and I tried several).
I used GlassyLite. It's expensive but worked well to get rid of yellow and cloudiness of the lens. It does work like most with sanding and polishing the lens but the sealant that is put on at the end does something to the lens to make it look new again. I was amazed.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I used GlassyLite. It's expensive but worked well to get rid of yellow and cloudiness of the lens. It does work like most with sanding and polishing the lens but the sealant that is put on at the end does something to the lens to make it look new again. I was amazed.
i used DOT 3 brake fluid and a rag. works good

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
-Park your truck 10' from a flat wall. Be sure that it is perpendicular with the wall and front end pointed towards the wall.
-Measure from the ground up to the center of the headlight.
-Make a horizontal tape line on a flat wall that height (1" masking tape works well)
-Measure how far apart your lights are
-Make vertical lines using the tape again, be sure that these vertical lines are directly in front of your truck.
-Turn on you headlights (low beam, not high beam).
-Adjust the headlights so that the hot spot is about 2-3" below the horizontal line, and inline with the vertical lines.

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
you could go through what tbird said or just park it infront of a wall or garage door and use the adjustment screws to adjust them to your liking it may be more accurate with all the taping and measuring but it also takes up time you could be using for something else

MNBen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did what Tbird said. It is done and over with and you do not have to second guess. Some manuals say 20', at least for my '99.
MNBen

p.s. Would the fog lights be aligned the same way??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals