• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 ranger rear brake problem

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, The left rear drum shoes are dragging, and heating up the drum. So I replaces the shoes, that didnt help. Then I replaced all the brake shoe springs and the self adjuster, that didnt help. So the next was a new wheel cylinder. Samething happens, drive the truck the drum gets very hot, park the truck until cold, then try to drive forward that left rear is locked up. Reverse the truck 10-20 ft. then it is loose enough to drive forward. What do I do next ? May be a colapsed rubber brake hose if there is one ? Or maybe the Master Cylinder ? How about something with the ABS system ? PLEASE help before my wife makes me bring it to the Ford Dealer ! ! Thanks, Buzz

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Also check to make sure that the ebrake cable on that side isn't seized. You've got the adjuster backed all the way off and installed the right way and its still dragging?

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll check the e-brake. Yes, Sasquatch The adjuster are in right and back off all the way when installed, maybe a 1 turn on them. The brakes seamed to be fine after the install of the parts. While in the driveway hit the brakes hard in forward and reverse, many time all fine. But after driving to work there hot. (country driving no stop an go) then go to leave after cool down there stuck...............

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
my 99 was locking up the rear brakes when you first started driving it. Was like that when I bought it. took it apart. Everything looked normal. Cleaned and lubed. Worked for about 3 weeks and then it started doing it again. The tranny went out at that point and I have not had a chance to get back into it since. Dont have any aswers, just a similar story to add to the thread.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Hi, The left rear drum shoes are dragging, and heating up the drum. So I replaces the shoes, that didnt help. Then I replaced all the brake shoe springs and the self adjuster, that didnt help. So the next was a new wheel cylinder. Samething happens, drive the truck the drum gets very hot, park the truck until cold, then try to drive forward that left rear is locked up. Reverse the truck 10-20 ft. then it is loose enough to drive forward. What do I do next ? May be a colapsed rubber brake hose if there is one ? Or maybe the Master Cylinder ? How about something with the ABS system ? PLEASE help before my wife makes me bring it to the Ford Dealer ! ! Thanks, Buzz
i have never heard of collapsed brake lines. it should not be possible because it is always under pressure. it keeps happening to that one side and not the other so that means that its not the master. it doesnt sound like an ABS issue either as far as i know.

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the help people.It was the left rear parking brake cable.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

mfp4073

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
how did you determine that and what did you do to fix it?

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mfp4073...... Determinded that because the cable,and shoes wouldnt move when stepping on the park brake pedal with the drum removed. How did if fix it ? $19.00 and a trip to the NAPA store.......... Buzz

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals