• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 ranger 2.3L loss of power up hills

JesseCard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone, I have a quick question about my 95 ranger. Lately I have noticed i have lost a significant amount of power while going up steep uphill freeways. I used to be able to cruise in 4th gear up the hill but now I have to down shift to 3rd to make it up the hill. Once i get off the freeway I give the truck gas and it will barley go, then seconds later the truck will backfire and will gain some of the power back. I was thinking it was the catalyic converter but i want to know your guys opinions.

Also, I started noticed the power loss after I put a lift kit on my truck and put all terrain tires and heavier rims. Does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Check your plugs, wires, air filter..... basic tune up stuff 1st.
Then check your cat out. Is the floorboard getting hot during this time ?
Rotten egg smell, gas smell or anything like that ?

JesseCard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just changed the plug and plug wires. It has a k & n air intake. I don't smell anything when its loosing power up hills. It only smells riich when the truck is idiling. Could it be the cat? I've never checked it since I bought the truck 3 years ago...

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Did you gap your plugs or use them straight out of the box ?
Have you had a scanner hooked up to it yet ?

JesseCard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No I bought the wires and new plugs from auto zone. I took the manifold off and replaced all 8 of the plugs and wires. I didn't notice a difference in power. I started to notice the power loss when my big tires and rims were installed. The check engine light isn't on so what kind of scanner are you talking about?

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
The big tires and wheels add a ton of rotational weight and a 4 popper will work proportionately harder on the hills because of that little upgrade. The best thing you can do now is to regear to lower ratios in order to regain the torque you lost at the wheels.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So you did or did not gap the plugs before installing them ?
I was talking about an ODBII scan tool to see if any codes were present.
Some will not produce a check engine light and in some cases the check engine light could be burnt out etc etc etc...

red85 is correct to btw... larger tire = more torque required to move them.
There is your significant loss of power I would assume.

Last edited:

1985dangeranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you need a timing belt urs has to much slack mine was doing the same thing when i got it if u dont belive me move ur timing forward and it will have power

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Unlike your 85'...A 95' is distributorless. Uses dual coil packs and 8 plugs. 4 on the intake side and 4 on the exhaust side. As well the Timing belt has an automatic tensioner. As it stretches is self adjusts to remove slack. If the tensioner fails or loosens and lets the belt slack then you have problems that are resolved by a new tensioner and belt or simply by re adjusting the tensioner.
There is no physical way to advance or retard the timing on a 95 2.3L

So in short .. no I don't believe you :p

Original poster.....
If you did not gap your plugs before installing them then this is may be PART of your problem. You cant just stick them in their out of the box. You have to set the gap before installing. The gap sets optimal spark intensity. If you leave them as is out of the box then you are installing plugs that are with out doubt .025 - .035 ( thousandths of an inch ) to large in the gap and making it run rich as heck and creating a major power loss.
The other half of your problem is the larger tire and rim set up as Phil stated.

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
What gap should those of us with 2.3 twinspark mills be running? I put in new plugs a few months ago and gapped them to the specs Autozone's computer gave me.

An OBDII scanner helps neither myself or Jessecard because we predate OBDII (1996, though I am pretty sure 1994 4.6L Fords were OBDII and know for fact 1995 4.6L thunderbirds/cougars were OBDII. My 94 and JesseCard's 95 still use an OBDI EEC.

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i know your problem i have to down shift to fourth gear if the hill is to steep or to long not bad for 200,000 miles.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Taller tires with a 4 cylinder will hurt power and MPG. If you did install taller tires a gear change will be needed to get your power and MPG back. Or change back to the stock size tires.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont believe that about the mpg, i never lost mpg from anything, and i used to drive with the pedal to the had on 3 cylinders firing fully for like a month and then put 31's and it never affected anything except my 5th gear disappeared my mpg was always above 20

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
Obd2 was mandated by the government for the 1996 model yr, yes u may have a 95 with obd2

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals