• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't find the answer anywhere; 2006 payload capacity.

alex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's the deal, I'm going to be driving from Vancouver to Albuquerque with two bikes in the back (900Lbs) plus gear and two on board for a total of about 1400 pounds.

Question #1; What's the maximum payload for a;

2006 Ranger, 4X4 sport, 4.0L with the 4:10 diff

Question # 2: If I exceed or am close to exceeding the payload capacity. I plan to install an add-a-leaf and torque up the torsion bars. Is there any other cheap solution to slightly increasing the PL capacity (no more than 500$). I am mechanically inclined but I don't have access to specialized tools such as impact.

Note that I would also use the lift during hunting season to get a little more clearance in off road situations...

Thanks for your help!

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1260 pounds is your maximum payload.

No there is no way to legally increase your payload. Suspension mods may make carrying max loads easier but that doesn't mean you can pile more in the bed. For that much stuff your best bet is to trailer it, because you can tow 5800 pounds and still be road legal.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never seen a law that said it was illegal to exceed the GVWR, only that it was illegal to exceed the registered weight. If something happened on the road you could certainly be charged with reckless endangerment, I suppose. A civil action against you by someone that was hurt by your failing Ranger is a bigger possibility.

That said, what you propose to do isn't going to increase the load rating of your truck. Your truck has an axle in the rear rated at 2,750#. The springs don't really matter. It's the bearings and shafts. It's one thing to overload it going across town--it's an entirely different thing to drive 1,500miles each way on it. It would probably be fine, but it's your risk. An Explorer axle will give you that extra 500# capacity.

The front end has nothing to do with it. A truck is designed to carry the load weight centered over the rear. You aren't going to overload the front. Cranking those torsions can make them more prone to breakage.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was always under the impression that if a cop sees you overloaded they can give you a ticket for unsafe loading of a vehicle, sounds illegal to me.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have to load it up and take it across a scale to see how much and where the weight is being carried. The GVWR can't easily be modified, and getting higher plate registration doesn't mean you're legal, as going over what it is stock rated for can result in liability problems during an accident.

As long as you're under the GVWR, and each separate axle rating (They don't always add up, even though it would seem logical that they together should equal your GVWR), you're legal.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the US, the manufacturer ratings are not enforced to my knowledge. Commercial trucks are scaled only to protect the highway, not to make sure an axle doesn't exceed the manufacturers rating. If you have a reference which supports your position that a government agency will enforce your manufacturer's ratings, I would appreciate seeing it.

Definitely civil law is what you need to protect against and that's where the ratings come in.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trucking-2220/2009/2/gcwr.htm

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yanking a trailer around would be better all around make sure the trailer wheels and bearings are tight and greased good. Leave yourself plenty of room for stopping take it easy and enjoy the scenery. No sence in beating the truck up if you can avoid it. A good receiver hitch would be cheaper than a new axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals