• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ebrake and rear abs light flickering randomly when driving or braking

An Audio Guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
I can't figure this out. When I am driving...usually during acceleration or braking the ebrake light will flicker on and off and occasionally the abs will flicker on and off too. Recently put a new rear end in and rebuilt drums and replaced ebrake pedal and cables. Don't know if this is helpful but maybe someone can direct me to a sensor or a trigger that is being tripped. Maybe the ebrake is not full releasing but how do I check this? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
The "E-brake" light is also your 'brake fluid low' light. Check your master cylinder is full.

If that is ok, then check the 3 wire plug (it might be 4 wires, I can't look at mine now) that goes into the bottom of the plastic master cylinder reservoir. If that connector is corroded or the wires going into the connector are corroded it can cause the level sensor to malfunction. If the 'BRAKE" warning light is on, the RABS is disabled. That is likely why the ABS light is coming on.

An Audio Guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. Will check it out!!

An Audio Guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Looks like maybe a mix of that and I am thinking that maybe the cable itself is a tad too tight and therefore switch tripping bc when I play with the pull and ride with it pulled the light doesn't comes on at all. So how to loosen the cable(release some tension)? The reservoir was not all the way at "MAX" btw and it had been topped off Tuesday. Topped it off again and haven't seen the rear abs light at all. Pig tail looks fine but didn't have a second set of eyes for while I was playing with the tail.

tx3nc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure how to adjust tension in the parking brake cables.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What year and axle do you have?

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

An Audio Guru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Honestly I have no idea. I do know that it is different from the original that was in there. I think I also heard someone mention that it looks like a rear end from an older model ranger. i payed a shop to slap it in. I'm not allowed to do that type of work at the apt complex.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I'm not certain how to adjust the parking brake on all the different models. If you do a search you should be able to find how to do it.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals