• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

changing out key cylinder?

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Change, Key, cylinder, lost, new, door/ignition, 10-cut

Call me stupid - lost my key to the Ranger :owned: Apparently, loaning it out without a keyring on the key was a bad idea...

how big of a PITA is it to do the cylinder swap without the key? For that matter, how much does a new ignition switch cost? Would I be better off having a locksmith cut me a new key, since the doorlocks are the same? Can the dealer cut me a key from the VIN?

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
Call me stupid - lost my key to the Ranger :owned: Apparently, loaning it out without a keyring on the key was a bad idea...

how big of a PITA is it to do the cylinder swap without the key?

a big one alot of drilling.

For that matter, how much does a new ignition switch cost? /QUOTE]
depends on the year of the truck

Would I be better off having a locksmith cut me a new key, since the doorlocks are the same? Can the dealer cut me a key from the VIN?
if you go the route of having the locksmith cut a key take a door lock out and take it to them to save you some money. i know around here to have the dealer cut a key from the vin is around $50 where you can take a lock to cheaper.

scottg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
if you have a pre-PATS ranger, you can get an aftermarket cylinder from an autopart store for around 15bucks, but that wont solve your door keys either

also to change out the cylinder, you have to have it in the RUN position, or it wont come out, which im in the same boat with the 86 b2 i just picked up

jdolph85

Reaction score
Get really sharp carbide bits if you have to. getting a key formed can get expensive

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a little patience you could buy yourself a blank key, take out a door cylinder, pull the cylinder apart (being very careful not to mix up the tumblers) and just make the key yourself. It's not as bad as job as it sounds but it does require a little patience (perhaps buy two blanks in case you screw up the first one).

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Ric gave me a 84 bronco II and it didn't have door keys. I pulled the door cylinders and took them to my local locksmith. He rekeyed it for $30 for both sides, and that included two new keys that he cut for me.

I tried to make a key for the spare tire lock before Ric found the original for the lock. I almost had it right. You had better buy a few blanks if you really want to try that route.

Personally I would use the locksmith it will save you a bunch of time and fustration. Call around and you should be able to get a good deal.

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm, looks like I'll be making some calls on wednesday :wall:

Jeepman401

Reaction score
if you have a pre-PATS ranger, you can get an aftermarket cylinder from an autopart store for around 15bucks, but that wont solve your door keys either

also to change out the cylinder, you have to have it in the RUN position, or it wont come out, which im in the same boat with the 86 b2 i just picked up
You can slide-hammer out the inner part of the cylinder, which allows you toturn it over to run and remove the rest of it.
The only problem is it destroys the cylinder, so its no good if you are trying to get it out to get a key made to fit it.

wmcclay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New cylinders for a ranger are about 90.00 for the doors and ign. Door cylinder is the best idea, however use the right door as it has the least wear on the cylinder

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
+1 i didn't think of that. plus if something goes wrong it's the passenger door

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
looks liek it'll run right abotu $100

apparently, they can't cut the key from just the door. half the key is the door, the OTHER half is the ignition. :buttkick:

Found this out AFTER I took the door cylinder out, and went there. They have to make a house call to get to the truck, and use their tryout keys on it. :lame:

Moral of the story: Don't lose your key!!! :icon_idea:

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, if you have a single key for both the ignition and door on a Ford, it's probably a 10-cut key. Cuts 1,2,3,4,6 run the ignition and cuts 5,7,8,9,10 run the door. If you buy a new cylinder kit from the dealer, they key(s) that come with the kit are only cut for the new ignition cylinder. They still have to be cut to fit the doors. This means you need to have a working door key to get the cut depths from. A locksmith is your best bet in this situation, as you found out....

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep, I still need to change out my steering column but am scared at what the locksmith wants to remove the key cylinder from the donor.

I think he said $125. That means it's going to cost me the $50 for the column and then the $125 for the keying....OUCH!

Allen

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
if your truck is new enough call the dealer and talk to the parts dept give them your vin and you have to show proof of ownership and they might be able to cut a key for around $50. might be worth a try

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals