• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Problems on Flex Fuel 99 Ranger

gatorranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 Ranger with the 3.0 Flex Fuel engine, with 51k miles. On saturday, it instantly stopped running upon startup. It cranks fine but then idles (or dies)as if there was no gas. No codes have been thrown on the panel. I changed the fuel filter with no results. If ether(starting fluid) is sprayed in the air intake the motor will run/idle fine. Also, when starting and in the run position, you can hear the fuel pump turn on. I figured that there must be a problem with the fuel pump and have one on the way. I also noticed that there is a sort of fuel regulator/sensor downstream from the fuel filter that I understand moderates the fuel on the flex fuel model. I can not find any information on this unit and whether it may be at fault. I would appreciate the forum's advice on what I should investigate or repair. Thank you.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
you know my jetta is doing the same damn thing and I am convinced its the fuel pressure regulator........... going to confirm it with a fuel pressure gauge as soon as I get 1.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i believe the module after the fuel filter is for sensing the ethanol content of the fuel so the computer can adjust timing/injector pulse accordingly. i have heard of it failing a few times.

i also thought the newer rangers use a returnless fuel system (eg. the pump is sped up or slowed down to regulate fuel pressure)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My wife's 3.0 Taurus was acting up a while ago, turned out to be the camshaft postion sensor trigger bearing thingy (I think that's what it was called :icon_twisted:). Apparently the bearing can sieze up. My man at the garage sprayed some WD-40 on it and it was good. About a $125 job to replace it if needed he said. Didn't cost me anything. :D
He was a little baffled because everything checked out okay, then called a Ford tech he knew who diagnosed the problem in about three seconds since he'd run into it before.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals