• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 2.3 runs fine then will randomly start miss firing and run lean

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So it started out last summer after i broke a timing belt. Once i got it running again and got the timing right it was running fine for a week then started to randomly miss fire and run really lean for no reason. not throwing any codes other then yet another o2 sensor. its been frustrating. have done tune up after tune up and re timed it. gone threw and checked the injectors and heads. would anyone have any input on what to check? It would be nice to get it running right before wheeling season starts.

Thank for the help in advance.
Nathan

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since you played with the timing...my suggestions would be to start with the timing. Have you checked the timing with the little connector detached? (its a weird little connector you have to disconnect in order to time it). And my next suggestion would be to look at the timing belt. Kinda sounds like it skipped a tooth. Does it always run fine then run bad...or is it just running bad now???

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it will randomly go from running fine to running like shit and miss firing bad. jumps back and forth all the time. ill replace the plugs and retime it again.

85beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
BBF 460
Transmission
Manual
it will randomly go from running fine to running like shit and miss firing bad. jumps back and forth all the time. ill replace the plugs and retime it again.
sounds like a bad tensioner.. thats my idea though going off that you have to retime it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals