• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ford ranger automatic transmission shifter cable problem

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ford ranger and it doesnt shift into first or ever want to go into park, as in I shift it into park walk away from my truck and it goes into reverse and my truck almost goes into the cannal while im launching my boat. Whats the fix for this? Is there an adjustment? Or do I have to buy a new cable? Any help would be great!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
is the shifter really loose? there are plastic bushings in the column that wear and i've seen them do that

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, It feels tight

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It just wont let me go to first or park

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Search around there are guides ive seen for a C5 transmission which is older than what you have but it shows how to fix this sort of problem, you basically put the truck in park on the transmission it self while something is disconnected between the shifter and the tranny and you put the shifter in park and they match up, also have you tried slamming it into first or park? i have a different tranny but sometimes i dont quite make it into park and go to start it up and nothing so i just slam it back into park and im good, also you should always set your e brake when doing something like that :D

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've had 2 different customer trucks with a similar issue. The outside if the cable had been melted by the DS exhaust manifold.

Dunno if it'll help, but it doesn't hurt to pop the hood and look...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ill take a look, I used to be able to slam it into park but it keeps getting worse and worse

UnholyPancake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I know its been a little bit since you posted your question Southern, but I had the same issue your having and was able to fix it this morning. I could put my truck in "park" and it would shift into reverse, and i had to put it in "1" in order to go into drive. What I ended up having to do was drop the steering column and pull out the transmission shift tube.

IMG_20121229_104042 800.jpg

Once I had the shift tube off of the steering column I noticed this:

IMG_20121229_121036 800.jpg

One bolt was loose, and one was completely gone. Replaced the missing bolt, added a lock washer to both bolts, put this bad boy back in, and 2 hours from start to finish (autozone run included) my shifter is now as tight as the day I bought the truck.

Let me know if you need any help pulling the steering column, its a pretty easy process if your mechanically inclined. Hope this helps!!! :D

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Want to know something funny? I finally noticed the same thing when one of the bolts fell out and hit my foot. So I tightend both of them up and it solved my probelms.. except I didnt have to tear it all apart :yahoo: I crawled under and tightend it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals