• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Belt tensioner on 99 Ranger?

KevinV6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.8l V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I don't own a Ranger but I'm helping my friend replace the alternator in his 99 3.0 Ranger. I've run into a snag as, unlike in the Haynes manual, or any other Ranger I've seen on the internet, the belt tensioner in his engine bay (what looks like the tensioner anyway) does not have a square hole where a 3/8" socket would go. It has a T-47 reverse torx bolt which just loosens the entire tensioner assembly, and I've found no way to adjust it so that I can mount the serpentine belt around the alternator pulley.

I don't have the truck near me to go take a photo or check, but is there a way to pivot the idler pulley next to the Alternator to loosen the belt tension? That's what I was thinking about trying next, but I won't get a chance to work on it till tomorrow.

Thanks.

Last edited:

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You move the tensioner pulley down by 'tightening' the tensioner pulley bolt, this moves the tensioner pulley down and voila, belt slips on. We put the belt in the dryer for 5 minutes to get it floppy.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Fleck is correct, you need to rotate the tensioner pulley bolt, to remove the tension on the serpentine belt. Here are a few photos to help you:

Using a 15mm boxed-end wrench, turn the tensioner pully bolt clockwise (tightening) to loosen the tension
on the serpentine belt:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I realized that I had an old tensioner, that I changed several years ago.

These photos should show you how the tensioner is made, and how it works:
Notice without a belt in place, the outer part of the tensioner (part the pulley is mounted to)
is in the full counter-clockwise position.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals