• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bypass 4x4 control module?

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I searched though the forums and i don't think this has been asked yet.

Is there a way to bypass the 4x4 control module?
Someway to wire it so that when you flip the switch it'll switch into 4Hi or 4low?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't think so...

Maybe if you could rig up some indicator lights to the sensor contacts that would light up when the motor is at the various positions and you had two momentary pushbuttons (each spins the motor in the opposite direction) you might be able to do it, but it'd be far easier to just swap a manual case in (or maybe put something like the Shiftster knob on it).

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
No. The transfer case motor is a "stepper" motor. Stepper motors need a controller (the control module) to operate. It's not as simple as connecting a positive and negative wire and a switch.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
different voltages and resistances make this an almost impossibility, just do a manual tranny swap.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No. The transfer case motor is a "stepper" motor. Stepper motors need a controller (the control module) to operate. It's not as simple as connecting a positive and negative wire and a switch.
Must be different on the '95up cases, both of mine use ordinary DC (brushed-type) motors much like the motor for your power windows. The motor is "bumped" into position by very brief clicks of the controller's relays.

A stepper motor does indeed require a controller to operate.

Last edited:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Someone recently posted about how they had done but it requires running straight battery power to the motor and starting/stopping the motor manually with a switch by guessing when it's in the right position. Sounds like a good way to grenade a perfectly good t/case to me.......

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Damn, i was hoping there would be a simple solution, I guess the best way would be to find a manual T-case and switch it out.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive done it on my truck, but only tempory when the t case motor acts up. I just unplugged the motor, and spliced in 2 wires for + and - and ran them into the cab, Give them power and ground and the t case will shift, i leave the truck off and window open to hear it move. When it stops your in 4 lo, reverse the polarity and its 2 hi. Its hard to hit 4 hi cause its in the middle, it usually takes a few trys.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
The stock setup works fine, if it's in good shape. The problems are usually in the gearcase attached to the motor, the worm drive. There is a little bushing on the stop pin, and it breaks. When that happens, the worm drive can go too far and lock up in 2wd.

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
My t-case is fine, its just the control module that malfunctions.
Usually ill flip the switch to go to 4hi (while in neutral and pressing the brake) and ill hear a couple of clicks, then the 4hi & 4low lights will flash on the dash board. I will then disconnect the battery and reconnect it and i will try the switch again and itll switch easily.

Is there a way to maybe cut off the sensor signals or something? I'm guessing the control module receives signals from sensors and if all are correct, itll tell the t-case to shift? Is there a way to maybe cut off the sensor and send the right signal on command with a switch or something?

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
@xerofuzzion

Not to second guess your diagnosis or anything, but I also thought my 4X4 control module was defective a couple years after driving my Ranger. The truck would engage into 4X4 sometimes and then at other times I would hear the module click a few times and then both 4 hi/lo light would flash periodically until I unhooked the battery or left the truck overnight for it to reset. I was just about to purchase a salvaged control module, when the salvage yard man at the counter made the statement that I was the first one to ever buy a control module from him and that everyone else always purchased the transfer case shift motor. So I ended up taking a gamble and bought the motor instead and installed it. That solved my problem for about 3 years. Luckily when the problem returned, O'Reilly Auto Parts started carrying them in stock with a lifetime warranty. That's what I have been doing ever since. Just something to think about. Good luck in you repair.

sluhbmet

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I'm still voting for pull the shift motor apart and check the bushing. That's exactly what my truck did.

xerofuzzion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
@gribly

where exactly is the bushing? is it on the connection from the t-case motor?

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
@gribly

where exactly is the bushing? is it on the connection from the t-case motor?

It's on the backside of the gear for the worm drive. Take the cover off of the motor gearcase, pop the gear out, and walah, there should be a zillion little amber colored pieces of broken plastic all over the place. That would be the bushing that was originally on the peg on the gear. Just dive in and take it apart, it'll be obvious what is wrong. Remember to mark the cover before you remove it - it needs to be very close to the original position as it changes the location of the contacts. I put a zip-tie around the peg last fall, and it's still good. I use my 4wd a lot, too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals