• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need coolant, what kind???

Mike Tonon

The book says yellow, will green work? Also, the truck is 3 1/2 years old with 20,000 miles. should it be changed yet?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I always use the Prestone that says it's compatible with anything. Flush it good with water first. 20,000 isn't a lot of miles but the time can still cause electrolysis because of the different metals it's exposed to, so after 3 1/2 years I'd say change it. In my vehicles I flush them with tap water but use distilled water for the final fill with the antifreeze.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Use Zerex G-05 ONLY. Available at Napa. (Napa part #ZXG051)

Or go to the Ford dealer and pick up some Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant. The "all makes/models" is NOT the right stuff, and is not compatible with the factory coolant!

One more thing, color means nothing. Just because two coolants are yellow, doesn't necessarily mean they have the same chemistry and are compatible.

I'd say it's a little early to change it. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it now, but it'll still be good for another year or two.

Last edited:

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
As long as it's a "Global" mix it will work. G5 if you want OE. Different brands may be yellow or greenish yellow. Make sure the jug says all makes all models.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
As long as it's a "Global" mix it will work. G5 if you want OE. Different brands may be yellow or greenish yellow. Make sure the jug says all makes all models.
"All makes/models" coolant is essentially the same thing as Dexcool. I would NOT put Dexcool in any vehicle that wasn't designed for it. You know that Ford is slowly switching over to Dexcool in some 2011 vehicles, particularly the new v8s in the Mustang and F150? They would have started in 2010, but the 4.6 and 5.4 v8s were NOT DESIGNED for it, so they waited one more year for the new engines to come out, which are already designed for Dexcool.

Look at the back of a jug of G-05. It specifically states it is NOT compatible with OAT (organic acid technology AKA Dexcool) coolants.

Google Dexcool sludge and see what happens when you use Dexcool in a system not designed for it. Heck, it even happens in some systems that ARE designed for it.

I'll say it one more time: Do not use "all makes/models" coolant in your truck! G-05 ONLY!!!

Mike Tonon

"All makes/models" coolant is essentially the same thing as Dexcool. I would NOT put Dexcool in any vehicle that wasn't designed for it. You know that Ford is slowly switching over to Dexcool in some 2011 vehicles, particularly the new v8s in the Mustang and F150? They would have started in 2010, but the 4.6 and 5.4 v8s were NOT DESIGNED for it, so they waited one more year for the new engines to come out, which are already designed for Dexcool.

Look at the back of a jug of G-05. It specifically states it is NOT compatible with OAT (organic acid technology AKA Dexcool) coolants.

Google Dexcool sludge and see what happens when you use Dexcool in a system not designed for it. Heck, it even happens in some systems that ARE designed for it.

I'll say it one more time: Do not use "all makes/models" coolant in your truck! G-05 ONLY!!!
I'm glad I asked about this. I thought there were only 2 or 3 types of coolant and mine looked greenish, so I was going to just use green. Then I thought I better make sure and the manual said what you guys are saying. The guy at advance auto said that the "any make and model" coolant would be fine. But the guy at napa told me its technically not.

BTW, I flushed out my 87 2.9l cooling system back in high school and put the orange stuff in. Seemed to work, but after a few years I flushed it out and put green back in. Sometimes, durng the last few years I owned it, the engine would suddenly overheat and holding the throttle usually brought it back down. Was the coolant mixture clogging the system.

thanks for the help

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Dexcool and global do the same job but aren't the same. Dexcool won't mix with anything. Put Dexcool into something with green or yellow antifreeze and you'll get lumpy chocolate sludge. Same if you reverse it and add something to Dexcool. Global does the 5yr 50,000 mile deal like dexcool but is Propylene Glycol. It simulates the old green Etheline Glycol without the short life span. Plus Dexcool is orange so it's easy to identify to GM owners.

And add only distilled water to antifreeze no matter what the type. Tap water's impurities will shorten the life span of any antifreeze. Or go 50/50 pre-mix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals