• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hauling a canoe

Quartermile

If I haul a canoe in my truck, I know I need a red flag on it because it sticks out more than 3 feet past the back of the truck, but I am wondering if you could use a red light instead, if it was always on or an amber blinking one. I am building a bed extender (hitch mount) that supports the canoe that I could mount it to, and I don't want to worry about whether my red shop rag stays on or not. Also, I just want something to do to keep busy, hence the project :icon_welder:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think you also need a chase vehicle when you haul a canoe.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
gotta be careful with blinking ones, id check the laws on that. I think the flags actually supposed to be reflective(for at night and stuff) but im not positive on that. Best to check with your local authorities to be on the safe side.

forzda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 mazda B300
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what about using a light that is wired into the brakes and running lights , use a trailer plug so it can be removed easily.

Quartermile

what about using a light that is wired into the brakes and running lights , use a trailer plug so it can be removed easily.
I thought that too, but if they aren't on or something they aren't really worth having. Because you have to indicate that the cargo is extended past the bed of the truck

forzda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 mazda B300
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought that too, but if they aren't on or something they aren't really worth having. Because you have to indicate that the cargo is extended past the bed of the truck
just keep your lights on when haulin the canoe

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Talking about using a roof rack and a bed extender or just hauling in the bed? Seen a lot of canoes and ladders hauled up top with no warning flags, never thought about it. Sure they make units that fit into a receiver hitch that would work.
Dave

Quartermile

Talking about using a roof rack and a bed extender or just hauling in the bed? Seen a lot of canoes and ladders hauled up top with no warning flags, never thought about it. Sure they make units that fit into a receiver hitch that would work.
Dave
No roof rack, just in the bed. There are hitch extenders you can buy from cabelas, northern tool, and bass pro, but I can build one cheaper than i can buy one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals