• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel filler hose repair

WJC97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just bought my friend's 97 Ranger, and took it out for a fillup last night. Dumped fuel all over the ground at fill-up, and I see there is a longstanding problem with crap fuel hose on Rangers (I know from experience Ford will let problems fester for 10+ years before fixing them :annoyed:).

My question is: Is there any creative solution to this besides buying the new neck assembly? For example, does anyone make a fuel-resistant flex hose that I could clamp to the necks?

Also, if I do have to buy the new neck assembly, are the generic ebay models too much of a risk? They're awfully tempting for $40 delivered, but I have no idea of the quality. Advance wants $300 for the Dorman part, which is probably junk itself. (Dorman quality is inconsistent).

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought my friend's 97 Ranger, and took it out for a fillup last night. Dumped fuel all over the ground at fill-up, and I see there is a longstanding problem with crap fuel hose on Rangers (I know from experience Ford will let problems fester for 10+ years before fixing them :annoyed:).

My question is: Is there any creative solution to this besides buying the new neck assembly? For example, does anyone make a fuel-resistant flex hose that I could clamp to the necks?

Also, if I do have to buy the new neck assembly, are the generic ebay models too much of a risk? They're awfully tempting for $40 delivered, but I have no idea of the quality. Advance wants $300 for the Dorman part, which is probably junk itself. (Dorman quality is inconsistent).

lol i had the same problem so all i did was put gasoline safe glue in the cracks and wrap it really good in electrical tape!!!! But there is a problem i don't think you know about which the end of the hose are to different diameters.. I call a tractor trailer place that repair them and the will sell me the hose to fix so you might want to check out a tractor trailer place and i have tried every place around me i could think of to find that hose but with no success and the tractor place was the only on that had it !!! I hope it help!!!

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From experience, I have not found a suitable hose yet that lasts as long as the Ford one. I have discovered that each end is slightly different diameter, and also another problem you will have is the air tube that runs through the hose is built into it, I have destroyed everyone of them I have tried to remove, unless you don't mind the constant clicking at the gas pump when it shuts the valve off like it's full.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I just swapped a 33 gallon Bronco tank into my 00. Had the same problem with the fuel filler neck.

The two different IDs of the hose make it a pain in the ass to piece somethin together.
Most auto parts stores dont carry fuel filler neck hose.

Your best bet would be snagging a few from the junk yard. With C4C I bet you could find a later model ranger neck with the seperate vent line and make that work.

Good luck

WJC97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your best bet would be snagging a few from the junk yard. With C4C I bet you could find a later model ranger neck with the seperate vent line and make that work.

Good luck
I thought of that, but was afraid of spending time and money on another hose that may rot in a year or two. Is there a particular year where Ford "fixed" the problem, with a more durable hose? And are all later model years compatible with the 97? Thanks for the responses.

erocka1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your getting ripped off at advance. the dorman filler neck does not cost that much. i work at a parts store i can get you a dorman filler neck for half that! and prolly 6 bucks to ups to you.

Last edited:

Nelson674

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I know this is an old thread but I just ran into this same problem and figured I would bring it back up to the top to see if anyone has figured out a fix yet.

So.... Has anybody found a better/less expensive solution to the cracking fuel filler hose problem?

Thanks for any input.

P.S I'm new around here, for those that don't frequent the intro. section here is my truck.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81909

scottg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
im running the ebay special on my 95, and it works fine. I've only had it for 4 months though. It did fix right the first time

Nelson674

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
im running the ebay special on my 95, and it works fine. I've only had it for 4 months though. It did fix right the first time
Did you drop the tank for installation or remove the bed?

This is my first vehicle (besides my parents Camery I've been driving the last few years) so I'm somewhat new to fixing cars and mechanic work. Could someone enlighten me as to what makes this filler neck so expensive at LMC and where ever the OP said he looked. ($300 :shok: ) It's just a rubber hose that is resistant to gas, no?

Daedalus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also got the ebay special. Installed a month ago and no problems so far.

Didn't drop the tank or remove the bed. Theres a little gap just big enough to fit your hand and a wrench through above the frame rail. Especially handy on my 92 rust belt truck that my mechanic strongly advised that I not attempt to remove the bed or drop the tank...

scottg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i happened to have the bed off doing suspension work, that's when I found out the holes in my filler neck

billpac4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm planning to do the E-Bay fix on my 95 without dropping the tank; i'll let you know how it goes . . .

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Here's my solution, allowed for play when i did my 3" BL.
The two galv nipples can easily be substituted for exhausts reducers, but galv is much thciker and less likely to rust through.
Used a 2" nipple and welded a 1 1/2" nipple inside to adapt it properly.

ko1by1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel filler tube replacement

Hi, A1 Auto .com has the complete part your looking for. I just purchased the upper fuel filler assembely and it fit on my 96 Ranger. I also need replace the lower tube thinking that the upper part was my problem. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals