• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger wont start

blindman_10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

I went out to run some errands today and when I tried to start my truck it sounds like it only clicks once (I'm assuming that is the starter). Truck doesn't try to turn over at all. Battery and battery terminals are clean and the voltage is fine. All the fuses appear to be functional. I have not had any problems leading up to this.

Is it my starter? I'm new to Rangers, but on all my previous vehicles the starter typically clicks repeatedly not just once. Is there a starter relay that I can check? Any help would be greatly appreciated because my only vehicle is currently dead in the parking lot!

Truck is 1994 2.3L auto with approx 115k.

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
did you physically look at the starter? i know on my '91 there is a ground wire that goes on a square tab on the soloniod, if thats not connected, all you will hear is one click. hope this helps

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
that single click is your starter relay clicking. put the truck is neutral, follow your positive battery cable to the relay and use a screwdriver to short both poles together and see if it cranks over. if it doesn't then check the cable that runs to the starter or replace the starter

blindman_10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
all wires to the starter and the relay appear to be attached securely. Bridging the poles on the relay produced no results, and the cable that runs to the starter appears fine (from what I can see). I guess I will have to remove the starter to have it tested.

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
all wires to the starter and the relay appear to be attached securely. Bridging the poles on the relay produced no results, and the cable that runs to the starter appears fine (from what I can see). I guess I will have to remove the starter to have it tested.
check the small wire on the starter. mine was loose/corroded. once i re-attached it the starter worked again..

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
How about checking for corrosion on the batt. post. Or it may be time for a new batt.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
smack the starter with a hammer and try again, if it starts go get a new starter =]

Moreflying

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know you mentioned clean battery posts. I can tell you from my experience with my truck (original owner since 1995) when this has happend to me it has been loose and or dirty battery posts. Or it could be the battery has gone flat. Battery posts may look clean but are loose or just have corrosion inbetween that can't be seen. Good luck.

blindman_10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will crawl under and check the starter wires again tomorrow a bit closer.. I tried the smacking method - negative results. Battery is only 1-2 years old and shows a strong charge. I removed the battery cables from the posts and wire brushed both the posts and inner area of the cables and firmly reattached. Friday the girlfriend returns and then I will have an opportunity to use her car to take the starter to be tested if that is where this leads me...

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
99% sure it is the smaller wire...Mine did the same thing the Saturday after finishing the lift. I knew from my stangs experience to look at the smaller wire....Low and behold the wire looked like it was seated at a glance, but upon trying to seat it further it "clicked"...Haven't had a problem since...

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
try jumping the relay/selonoid thing on the firewall. could be it's bad, seems like the only thing you havent looked at.

blindman_10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so despite the awfully cold and rainy weather we have been having i crawled under the truck today. All of the bolts on the starter solenoid seemed secure but I removed all of them and re-tighted for good measure. As i was doing this i noticed that the black 'end cap' of the solenoid is able to turn slightly as i loosen or tighten the bolts on the terminals. I attached a picture to show which part I am referring to. I allowed it to turn when i tightened all the terminal bolts figuring that if it were somehow threaded that would be 'tightening' it as well. After all that I reconnected the neg battery cable with my numb fingers and the truck started. I turned it off, let it sit, and restarted it a few times and it turned over just fine.

Is it fixed? Do you think something is messed up with my solenoid (due to the fact that that part can turn a bit)? Is this just going to continue to happen? Any input would be great...lol. I'm going to let it sit and try to start it again in a few hours to see if there are any issues anymore. I'm just afraid that I'll drive someplace and it won't start due to the noid...unless this is normal and I fixed it by 'tightening' the end cap part.

muscledrifter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I-4
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: thats a new one to me, i thought those things were held in by pressed tabs or rivets,

blindman_10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats kind of what i figured...its not like it spins easily or even turns THAT far but it was still enough to notice movement while down there. it only turned when i was torquing down pretty hard...i couldnt move it by hand.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals