• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OBD 1 code 224 ! HELP !

Navag8ter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 ltr
Transmission
Manual
My problem: Intermittent skipping / bogging / lack of power ect. It started about 2 months ago and is progressively getting worse. At first it was every couple of weeks, then once a week, now daily. It happens at variable times, temperatures (engine), and rpm's. When this happens I can pull over, shut the engine off, wait 1 minute and restart and it drives fine until next time. Now it will run fine for 1 to 2 minutes then stall. Sometimes runs rough first other times dies flat out. Starts right back up though?

What I've done so far: New plugs and wires. Tested both coil packs (primary resistance at input socket is .7 ohms on both coils and secondary resistance on top is 12.02 to 12.07 on both coils ).Since code 224 is primary circuit failure coil # 1 2 3 or 4 I replaced primary coil anyway. No luck. Removed ICM had it tested(at auto zone) 10 times in a row, it passed each time.

Checked the fuel system at the rail idles at 32 psi with vac.on at regulator and 40psi with vac. off at regulator. All within specs.

Checked compression. 170 psi lowest reading and 180 psi highest reading.All within specs.

Took some timing notes. Idles at 22*btdc after a minute or 2 it drops to 15*btdc for ~5 seconds then back to 22*btdc then dies flat out. Or it will go from 22*btdc to 28*btdc run rough for ~10 seconds then stall.
I disconnected the spout connector but it still idles at 22*btdc. I thought this would force the engine to run at base timing (10*btdc) but no go.

I'm thinking maybe the cam position sensor but I can't find it to replace it. It is not by the oil filter where it should be.

Found this info on rockledge site ("On other setups, such as the 2.3L Ranger, the PIP and CID signals are both generated from the crankshaft by virtue of a "dual vane actuator" which is essentially a doubled-up Hall-Effect sensor.")

Does this mean I don't have a cam position sensor? It's all rolled into one at the ckp?

Can anybody tell me how to confirm that I have DIS or EDIS ignition ?

Is there an ignition guru roaming around here somewhere that can give me a clue?

Mayday ! Mayday ! Ranger down
This is my DD so any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Navag8ter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 ltr
Transmission
Manual
update

Now today's work: Cleaned the CKP / CMP sensor at the crank. It was covered in oil and grit, apparently my valve cover has a small leak and oil is running in between the timing belt covers.Cleared codes, ran it for a few minutes and it died. Pulled codes and 224 was gone! Got a 111 . 111 Pass on hard codes and continuous memory codes. Ran it died.Ran it died. After about 5 cycles of this pulled codes and got 222. ( DIS problem loss of right side ignition diagnostic monitor (DIM) signal. Cleared codes, played the run it till it dies cycle 6 times or so pulled codes and 222 is gone but 224 is back. I'm really leaning towards the ICM but I HATE shooting in the dark.

Game plan for tomorrow is to tap the PIP and CID signals going into the PCM. Hopefully if they are good through and through I can eliminate the CKP / CMP sensor and I guess just buy a new ICM. If not then replace the CKP / CMP sensor.

What I've learned so far: Ignition systems are a P.I.T.A

Navag8ter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 ltr
Transmission
Manual
Update: RANGER FIXED: icon_cheers:
I used my timing light to monitor each ignition wire. The signals were erratic and went out completely at times. So, with this clue along with the others all pointing towards the ICM(even though Auto Zone tested mine 10 times consecutively and said it passed) I installed a new ICM and problem solved ! Hopefully someone else can review my troubleshooting and results to assist them in their repair project.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals