• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ram 1500 Auto Trans and Rack and Pinion Q's

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

You know, it feels like I just molest this site when I'm in a bind, and never seem to be around to help others out anymore....unfortunatly between trying to have a normal life, not driving my Ranger anymore, and working 75 hours a week, I became sidetracked. Here's to hoping I can get back in line.

Anyway, heres what I'm after this time.

My 2002 Ram 1500 with 131000km has only 2 issues with it.

1 - Transmission.
In order for reverse to bite, it takes a couple seconds. And then once it does go it doesnt respond to the throttle for another second or 2. I'm thinking that it needs a band adjustment. But I'm not good with Auto's so I'm not really, sure, and furthermore I dont know crap about Dodge's. What do you think? All the other gears work fine and immediately.

I'm probably not going to try to fix the Trans myself, I dont like to play with them.

2 - Power Steering
Apparently the 2002 was the year they went to the Rack and Pinion steering setup. Again I havent done any homework yet really, but I let a friend of mine drive the truck for a month while he was between vehicles (he just got a 2009 Tacoma Totally Loaded with leather! Its nice!) and he had to put some Powersteering fluid in it, said it was groaning and got a little tight but it was resolved after adding fluid. A buddy of his from work used to be a mechanic, and said that if you cant see ANY leaks, then its probably a bad seal on the Rack and Pinion and its filling into a boot.

Now I havent even checked under the truck at all yet, but if this is the case, is it a major issue to fix the seal? Or is it a replacement or major parts? Finally, is a steering repair on this thing a DIY or a Take It To The Shop job?

Thanks as ever!:beer:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
on the trans, i couldnt tell you. But on the rack and pinion, definately look for leaks, squeeze the boots on the arms and see if anything comes out, if it does, more often than not its the whole rack that gets replaced. I am fairly certain that dodge did not service the seals seperately.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a little looking into the whole rack and pinion thing....looks like I can probably swap it out without too much trouble, depending on how tight its wedged into the truck....

Thanks....

Anyone got any info on the trans???

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
have you checked the fluid level and condition yet? checked for any obvious signs of leaks under the truck?

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it ends up that the lining had started to come off of the Reverse/Low Band. At least thats what the Trans shop said. I took it in for a diagnosis and adjustment, they said they were able to tighten the band to the very end of its adjustment and that it would work but they couldnt tell me for how long.

Then they said that if I took the trans in for a rebuild within a month that theyd credit the cost of the adjustment off of the rebuild. So I tore it out and took it in. Still waiting on an official diagnosis. But the guys at the shop are REALLY good.

Damn trans was so stiff on the block, I had to put a 1/2" chain around it and loop the other end around a rear cross member and snap the prick out with a boomer! (Had 2 bolts still in a few threads and a trans jack under it so nothing got hurt!)

Powersteering problem still an issue....think it may not be a rack issue but a leak elsewhere....gotta do more looking into it.

Also installed levelling Keys for the Torsion Bars. Sweet mod!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals