• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New true dual exhaust - now what is resonating so bad?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Hi all:

**LEGAL: The subject truck is used off-road only and is therefore emissions exempt**

I just finished putting true duals on my '92 explorer. I cut the factory Y-pipe apart and added some bends to it to get dual 2-1/4" pipes running right next to each other along the passenger side of the transmission. They run about 4 feet and then end in a 2-1/4" X-pipe. From there, dual 2-1/4" pipes run over the axle and in to dual thrush welded (knock-off Flowmaster 40) mufflers. The mufflers have turn downs half cocked to each side.

Anyways, at idle, it sounds great, with a very deep, pulsating rumble. From about 3000 RPM to redline, it once again sounds awesome, pretty much the best sounding six I've ever heard. My complaint is 1500-3000 RPM, where something starts resonating terribly. It's resonating so bad that it sounds like one of the pipes is rattling on the frame of the truck. I've checked and double checked all clearances and have at least 3/4" everywhere, so it's not rubbing.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe I should put some glass packs in the 4' section before the X-pipe...

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ahhhhhh, I love how emissions exempt means the environment doesn't matter anymore...

If you are going to put something on there, I would do some universal cats over glasspacks.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A cow does many times the environmental damage of a car's exhaust, so could we not split hairs over emmissions?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Ahhhhhh, I love how emissions exempt means the environment doesn't matter anymore...
Your 2.9L breathing through cats has worse emissions than a 4.0L without cats - it's a proven fact (and also why 4.0L's didn't even have EGR for the first couple years). If you care that much, you should consider driving something newer and cleaner.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
May be because the exhuast exits under the passenger compartment of the truck?

May also be a V6 being a V6? My 2.8 used to like to drone a lot with a louder exhaust, kinda made me decide the best sounding V6 is one you can barely hear (in my case to know if it was still running) With just a glasspack it sounded neat at idle, and at higher RPM, but really just noisy with no definition between, it had pipe running out behind the rear passenger side tire. That setup didn't stick around too long... my solution was more muffler.

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just extend the pipes out a lttle further. dumps resonate the exhaust under the truck. running the pipe all the way out will eliminate this.

and will sound better.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
or run two different size mufflers. or add resonators

i assume you have 20 psi of boost with that exhaust system on that 450 hp engine so i can see where its a mystery as to why it resonates. it seems the turbo should quiet it a little through those echo chambers.:icon_confused:

err...:icon_confused:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Your 2.9L breathing through cats has worse emissions than a 4.0L without cats - it's a proven fact (and also why 4.0L's didn't even have EGR for the first couple years). If you care that much, you should consider driving something newer and cleaner.
I am not going to disagree with your statement, Although something I found really shocking was when my 2.9 passed state emissions with fully hollowed out converters. I had just swapped it in my truck, it had 127,000 miles and I had done a full tune up on it as I swapped it in. I had ordered new cats but had not gotten them yet, just wanted to bring it up so it would fail, and drive around on my rejected sticker until they were installed. You would not believe the surprise I had when the guy scraped my old sticker off and put a new one on. I had passed with flying colors. 1988's don't even have EGR valves! I had to take all that stuff off of the motor (a 1986) before I put it in!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
just extend the pipes out a lttle further. dumps resonate the exhaust under the truck. running the pipe all the way out will eliminate this.

and will sound better.
This.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I figured this kind of fit with his question so i thought i should ask it for both of us lol... How much will running it out the back effect the sound? Will it lose/add some rumble or anything?

Many people on here say they like the turndowns and i was considering doing that when i do my exhaust. But if it is pretty mucht he same thing without so much drone-ing, i wont lol.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
a friend of mine cut his cat out on his 4.0 bII, he then straight piped it to his muffler. he also complains of a "resonation".......

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I too suspected the turn downs. I just tried fitting some 18" long pieces of pipe on the ends of the turn downs. It did help kill the resonating quite a bit, although it's not quite as deep any more. Looks like I'm going to have to think of a way to fit some more tail pipe in. The problem is that the mufflers are currently occupying the space that the spare tire used to. I can cut and rotate the turn downs and add the 18" pieces of the pipe to them pointed out the side, but that's about it. Right now the turn downs end about 2" from the back of the bumper...

For anyone thinking of going with a loud exhaust on a 4.0L, I have the following advice:
1) A 4.0L has enough displacement, the correct firing order, and a 60° design; all of this combines to create enough depth and definition in the exhaust pulses that it sounds good at all RPMs with a loud exhaust. Many V6's (especially the smaller ones) sound like crap with a loud exhaust, the 4.0L doesn't. It's not exactly the classic V8 pulsating roar, but a sound that is a little different yet equally pleasing to the ear.
2) I do not recommend a loud exhaust on something that gets driven regularly. Loud exhaust is great fun when you're in the mood for it (as with my off road toy Explorer), but gets annoying fast when you're just trying to get from A to B.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i love the 4.0.

one dislike of wheeling with rbv's.....loud 4.0's or any stock rbv engine

4.0 or 2.8....never seen a big difference in range of sound. when i run into the ones that sound good, its still relative. cause mine would be quiet if i were to own one..

best sounding ford v6 i have ever heard are the current ones in the 150/stang.:dunno: its all opinion with these types of subjects. i know guys that hate v8's, especially american v8 noise. almost feel bad for the poor closet bastards.:D

i was serious about two sized mufflers.

order stock mufflers for a fox anything v8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals