• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

valve lash adjustment

johnnybronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just noticed in the Haynes manual that after I adjust the valve lash on my 2.9, it says "run the engine and check for leaks". Does anyone know if they mean to run the engine without putting the valve covers back on? Seems a little strange to me but this is the first time I've done this. Also, what would be leaking and where? If it were me, I would put the covers back on and check for oil leaks but the Haynes book is confusing me.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ha!

I just noticed in the Haynes manual that after I adjust the valve lash on my 2.9, it says "run the engine and check for leaks". Does anyone know if they mean to run the engine without putting the valve covers back on? Seems a little strange to me but this is the first time I've done this. Also, what would be leaking and where? If it were me, I would put the covers back on and check for oil leaks but the Haynes book is confusing me.
You are correct! Put the covers back on and check THEM for leaks.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

jhammel85

Yeah the Haynes manual has it's moments that confuse doesn't it? I would assume that it's talking about the valve covers.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah the Haynes manual has it's moments that confuse doesn't it? I would assume that it's talking about the valve covers.
Especially when it's telling you to adjust the valve lash on a vehicle with hydraulic lifters... Then that begs me to ask, why did Ford put lash adjusters on a motor with hydraulic lifters?

jhammel85

Especially when it's telling you to adjust the valve lash on a vehicle with hydraulic lifters... Then that begs me to ask, why did Ford put lash adjusters on a motor with hydraulic lifters?
I've wondered the same thing..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals