• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

non tach cluster to tach cluster 83 ranger

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
1st off im new to the ranger.
i have a 83 ranger carbed 2.0 4 speed 2wd and it has a non tach cluster in it, i want to install a stock tach cluster from the same era in it.

i will be doing a 2.3 efi turbo swap into it.
im unsure if i will use a efi ranger harness or the merkur harness, and will just hard wire the powers,fuel pump and grounds.

i wont be doing the efi turbo swap untill next spring,but would like to find a tach cluster and swap it in now.

so what years had a stock tach cluster that matches my truck, ie 80's style,?

will there be any extra wiring i have to do?

is it better to swap the whole cluster, or just swap the tach part to mine, i would think the whole cluster?

Last edited:

inuyasha2875

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've looked at tring the cluster swap but the wireing harness is diferent for the two clusters

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
has anyone done this?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will have to repin the connector for the tach side of the cluster or swap dash harnesses.

I am saving mine for a winter project, but there is a thread going on it. Since you won't be running a V8 forget the part about jumping the two poles. Not sure how to make a V6 tach read for a four cylinder though...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113129

Clusters that fit came in trucks 86-88.

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have a turbo swap done already on my truck, and just swapped in a factory tach from a 4 cylinder truck, repinned the gauge connector on the backside of my cluster....... Everything works as it should, except for the tach. I have an aftermarket gauge in my truck already (which tested accurate), when the aftermarket gauge is reading 2500 rpm, my factory tach is only reading 1750 rpm....... Not sure if I missed something when I wired it up (resistor or something like that)?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I have a turbo swap done already on my truck, and just swapped in a factory tach from a 4 cylinder truck, repinned the gauge connector on the backside of my cluster....... Everything works as it should, except for the tach. I have an aftermarket gauge in my truck already (which tested accurate), when the aftermarket gauge is reading 2500 rpm, my factory tach is only reading 1750 rpm....... Not sure if I missed something when I wired it up (resistor or something like that)?
were is this info on the pinouts of the cluster?
so there were factory 6 and 4 cyl tach clusters?

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure...... I would have to say yes, though. I have a tach from a 6 cylinder and a 4 cylinder, and the 2 circuit boards are different, even though the part number for the tach face is the same...... I have had both tachs in my truck already, and they both are operating in the same way (2500 on timing light tach is reading 1750 on dash)...... I was at the wrecking yard one day and took two dashboards apart (one no tach, one with tach), and traced the wiring down, drew pics of both connectors, and re-pinned the connector in my truck (originally no tach) to match the connector in the truck that had a tach.......

Last edited:

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Found a wiring diagram that shows a resistor in the wire to the tach....... Gonna go find one, I'll let you know if that does the trick or not!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found a wiring diagram that shows a resistor in the wire to the tach....... Gonna go find one, I'll let you know if that does the trick or not!
Keep us posted. :icon_thumby:

An article in the library on the finer points of switching between no tach and tach would be awesome... people gotta experiment with it first though.

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Went and found a resistor for my truck..... Didn't change anything!!! Guess I'm gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way..... Talk to someone who works with electrical stuff!!!! I'm not good with figuring out how resistors work, but my dad is an electronics technician, he'll know what size resistor I have and what size I need to replace it with!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went and found a resistor for my truck..... Didn't change anything!!! Guess I'm gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way..... Talk to someone who works with electrical stuff!!!! I'm not good with figuring out how resistors work, but my dad is an electronics technician, he'll know what size resistor I have and what size I need to replace it with!!!
It has been awhile so I can't give you the specifics, but the number and color of the rings tells you how many ohms of resistance it is. There should be something on the internet to give the specifics on what is what.

Last edited:

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Found the issue as to my error in my tach readings....... it seems, somewhere down the line, the ignition module was replaced...... with one from a 2.9!!!! Everything from the 2.3 and the 2.9 is the same, except for the tach output readings!!!! Installed one for a 2.3, tach reads perfect!!!!! The two modules are 2 different part numbers.......

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Found the issue as to my error in my tach readings....... it seems, somewhere down the line, the ignition module was replaced...... with one from a 2.9!!!! Everything from the 2.3 and the 2.9 is the same, except for the tach output readings!!!! Installed one for a 2.3, tach reads perfect!!!!! The two modules are 2 different part numbers.......
ok cool, so are the gauge clusters from the v6 and 4cyl the same or different?
do you have the repinning info?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd say the clusters are the same. There is just an extra ground for one setting. I wanna say it's grounded with a v6 but that doesn't make much sense. It has something to do with the PPR (Pulses per Revolution).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals