• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hauling some gravel - how much is too much?

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably a stupid question.

I need to get some gravel for the driveway, but I have no idea what I should be able to safely load in the bed of the truck (lbs).

I asked the folks at the landscaping place, but they had no idea either.

1988 2WD, stock suspension.

michowski

Reaction score
I had 2 scoops from a 1 yard size bucket in my truck for 1 trip. Bed completly filled with stock suspension last summer. The back end was saggin really good. Looked like I had no suspension. My 3.0 handled it just fine. You should be able to hold 1 yard of gravel or the entire bed full or untill your rear suspension cant hold anymore.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Just be careful when hauling. I would do this on the safe side and take 2 or more trips depending on how much you need and how far you need to drive.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Dont go over a thousand pounds at the absolute most. I had 1000lbs of concrete in the bed of my 96 2wd ext cab and the braking was very light and the steering was very floaty.

Gravel is about 1600kg/cubic meter. That is approximately 100lbs per cubic foot.

You can figure out how much is safe from there.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check out the owner's manual if it's got one. I'm willing to bet you have a payload limit of around 1200-1300lbs or so. When you load it, load it evenly in the bed so you're not taking weight off the front end. Failing that, load it towards the front.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Crushed stone is about 2500#/yard. If you have a 6' bed it will hold a yard if it's a bit below level. A 7' bed will hold about 1 and 1/3 yard or 1 1/2 heaped. It's easy to get 3,000# in the bed if you don't watch it.

I get it delivered. I got ten tons for $180 a few weeks ago--they spread it too. My gravel drive sucks up about a ton every ten feet in the spring. I push some off with the plow etc and it's a hill that washes down. But that might give you an idea.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I went to get a yard or gravel a while back and the guy asked if my truck would take a yard. Without thinking I told him it could take a yard of mulch... to which he said that gravel weighs 2600 lbs/yard....

I took half a yard and made 2 trips and even that was a little iffy.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Me and my dad hauled a full ton of river rock in his 89 2wd shortbed 2.3 and a dozen more trips averaging 1800LBs, held up fine, just watch your stopping distances.

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies!

I kind of had 1000lbs in the back of my mind, just thought it sounded good. :)

So if I tell them I can take a half ton, I imagine they could figure out the yardage from that depending on the type of gravel I get.

Will,
Thats that we've been doing too. I forget how many yards the truck brings in, but it usually sets us back $250-300. The place I called today quoted me $32 a yard. About right, plus I think a bed full is about all the more I need right now anyway.

Thanks
Mike

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
a good rule of thumb is to look under your truck while the tractor is pouring and tell him to stop when the axle starts to get close to the bump stops.if you aren't bottoming out its not too much weight.

scoob8000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a good rule of thumb is to look under your truck while the tractor is pouring and tell him to stop when the axle starts to get close to the bump stops.if you aren't bottoming out its not too much weight.
Good tip! Thanks!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Here's a full yard in my truck, of 3/4" crush. I scaled it at 2100lbs, and this is what my truck looks like, with 2 full length AALs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals