• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bypass the Inertia Switch?

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can I bypass the inertia switch altogether? I jumpered it today because I think it is pretty much dead. Is there a way to test this switch? Is there a more permanant and reliable fix then just a simple jumper wire? I am hoping for a cap to put on top of the connector, so I won't have to worry about the wire coming loose while driving and having the pumps shut off.

Any suggestions?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can jumper it...someone on here recently fixed their intermittent stalling by doing that...but you can also go to a junkyard and get one for next to nothing and have a working switch...they are designed to shut off the fuel pump in the event of a crash so it's not a good idea to jumper them permanently...a temp fix if fine...but I'm not exactly sure what wires you need to connect to bypass the circuit...

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bypass mine. I've had more fail than not. Just remember though, As Mark said, in the event of an accident the pump won't shut down. Ford is the only company to use them.

PFC Laird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352FE
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know how it happened on my 94 2.3 but i don't seem to even have an inertia switch.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive had my truck airborne without tripping the switch. i know it works because it trips if i smack it with a hammer.

id get a junkyard switch.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You won't catch me bypassing an inertia switch unless hillary clinton is chasing me...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Mine is bypassed, never got around to hooking it up after the 4.0 swap.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I had a bunch of fuel pump/wiring issues about 5 months ago and after ward the switch started tripping, so I jumped it. Do it right, don't just jam some wires in the plug. They fall out and it gets annoying, lol.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
those dam switches can be hit or miss. Ive had soem that I could have droped off a 3 story bulding and it would not hav gone off, have had some that switched hitting a speed bump hard.

If you do bypass it, wire it to a toggle switch.That way if you do get in a wreck, there is some chance of shutting off the fuel pump if the lines get broken etc.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Or just wire the fuel pump to a switch so you can slow down thieves at the same time...turn the pump off at night when you leave the truck parked somewhere that it might get jacked...

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
those dam switches can be hit or miss. Ive had soem that I could have droped off a 3 story bulding and it would not hav gone off, have had some that switched hitting a speed bump hard.

If you do bypass it, wire it to a toggle switch.That way if you do get in a wreck, there is some chance of shutting off the fuel pump if the lines get broken etc.
Where could I purchase a toggle switch? And where would be an appropriate place to mount it? I was thinking near the fuel selector switch...

Speedwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If Ford is the only company to use these, why is it really a big deal if it gets bypassed? There are plenty of other vehicles out there that do just fine without an inertia switch. Ford might have put it there for a reason... but Ford engineers aren't always the best, either(we all know this to be true, because almost everyone here has worked on their Ford).

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If Ford is the only company to use these, why is it really a big deal if it gets bypassed? There are plenty of other vehicles out there that do just fine without an inertia switch. Ford might have put it there for a reason... but Ford engineers aren't always the best, either(we all know this to be true, because almost everyone here has worked on their Ford).
That's what I was thinking.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Where could I purchase a toggle switch? And where would be an appropriate place to mount it? I was thinking near the fuel selector switch...
I'd be reluctant to run the fuel pump main power through an automotive grade toggle switch. There is a reason it's relayed. You could make it work more effectively with another relay, but you might consider another inertia switch for completeness.. IMO

Pete

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If Ford is the only company to use these, why is it really a big deal if it gets bypassed? There are plenty of other vehicles out there that do just fine without an inertia switch.
That is the way I feel about it. Also, If you turn the key off the pump quits, If the motor stops rotating the pump quits, and if either of the battery terminals get disconnected the pump quits. How many disconnects does a pump need?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals