• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SOLVED: Serpentine Belt Tensioner problems Squealing

RedRider

Reaction score
Well, I have one more post to help solve problems, after that I am going to a begging mo fo! :) I really need to title this... "WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT CHANGING A FRIGGIN BELT WOULD BE THIS DIFFICULT".

I tried to change the serpentine belt on my truck with 70k miles. I bought a standard belt at Autozone. The problem that happened is that after I changed the belt, my truck would routinely squeal loud until it caught up with the engine rpm. After that everything ran fine. On humid / rainy days, the squealing would last much longer.

I was really annoying my neighbors with this squealing noise so early in the morning, so I bought a 'high end' Gatorback belt. Well... the same thing happened.

What is a person to do? If you go by the folks at an autoparts store you need a new tensioner! WRONG!

I actually bought a new tensioner but, on the way home I was thinking I need to stop at Ford and compare belt sizes! I did and guess what, both belts bought from Autozone were about 1 to 2 inches longer than the belt that Ford sold. The serpentine belt at Ford cost $40.

I went home and put the Ford OEM serpentine belt on, and sure enough the squealing went away... forever! I never needed to replace the tensioner, the problem was the belt size!

If anyone has this same problem please post specifics about your truck. I have a 2002 4.0L SOHC 4wd. Back in the day, when I went to Autozone.com and this model was in the MINORITY now it is the majority, so I wonder if they were pulling a part number from a different model truck??

I STRONGLY suggest measuring up your old serpentine belt with the replacement.

I hope this info helps someone in the future.
Cheers
-Brian

WIEGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think they might of given you the belt for an OHV thinking it wouldn't matter. I dunno just an idea. Whats the length of the belt anyway?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
We have run across this problem a few times where i work ( ford dealership) when we were out of stock on certain belts or customers would install napa belts and have them squeel. The aftermarket belts seem to be a bit longer than the OEM's

Greatbear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No more belt Squeel !!

I was at wits end with this truck making noise. I found out that the belt dimensions make a big difference and not all auto parts stores follow the Ford standard for these. When i looked up NAPA i found their MICRO-V AT belt and put it on. (it is made by Gates). NO SQUEAKS, NO SQUEAL, NO MORE @#$% Noise. There is a god who drives a Ford. lolhttp://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/yahoo.gif

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
same thing happened to me, i learned the hard way.

S197GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
old post but bumping for anyone who might run into this problem.

this is my first post and i just got a 2001 4.0 SOHC with 201k miles. motorcraft belt had obvious wear in the grooves so bought a continental belt from amazon. amazing construction/quality but started to squeal at startup.

bought a new tensioner pulley thinking that was the issue. squealed even worse at startup!

took belt off and compared it to old motorcraft belt. definitely 1-2" longer. i had just put in an exchange for a gates brand and then i found this thread. looks like i should be in the clear...

jcrow123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sqealing Serpintine

Yep, the aftermarket tries to make a belt that will fit a large range of models. Just not Ford Rangers.

My old Goodyear Gator-back "quiet belt" wore out so I hooked it into a local auto parts store where they sold me a "Premium" replacement for about $35.. Let the squealing begin! Finally bought a replacement from Ford for @ $45 but only after they tried to sell me a new tensioner. Problem solved.

The Gator-back also works but is no longer made by Goodyear, now it's Continental or ContiTech the part number is the same though, the one that fits a 3.0 l with/AC is Continental part number 4060887 same as the old Goodyear part number. Rock auto has 'em online for @ $21 I don't know what the part number is for NO/AC but they are still called GATORBACKS so it should be fairly easy to find.:beer:
There are two part numbers 4060882 = 88.2" and the 4060887 = 88.7" effective lengths

I wish that people who list replacement belts that fixed the problem would include info about effective lengths and actual part numbers which makes the info much more useful. Just saying

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals