• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Tank Filler hose replacement

lhc_cj7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My son's first vehicle, 96 xlt, 4x4, 4.0, automatic, 120k. Paid $2800 and the seller just installed brand new 33's. :taunt: Since buying it several weeks ago I have been going thru it. So far changed plugs (not to bad on the driver side, removed the radiator return hose and heater hose on the pass side. Made things lots easier) flushed radiator, and then found the gas tank filler hose with a band aid while checking things under the truck.

So after some research I decided to remove the bed. Used krol oil (penetrating oil I get from work) on the bed bolts on top and underneath. Removed the filler hose, had a tube bumper so took that off and while my son lifted the back end removed the wire harness. Two 15 year olds on the sides and the old man on the back lifted right off. Took about 2 hours but I was taking my time.

Moved it to the side of the garage

Here is a close up of both ends. Notice the dry rot on the tank side. Several of those cracks go all the way thru. ouch. This was a Vegas truck before ending up here in Havasu. Can you say 115 all summer long. :nopityA: Might be the cause of the 1443 code (or not.) We will see.

Entire hose

The truck as it sits ready for transmission removel to replace seals.

Anyway, can't find the hose at the many auto part stores. Did find one on the net for $150. It said fits the standard 6 foot bed, this one is 7 feet. The pic looks the same as ours. What would the Ford dealership charge for this??

Anybody have a source for this hose?

Thanks

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
search this topic I beleive it was just brought up last couple of days. but i think ford wants 300 for that item.

Rarasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep. Bout $327 is what I was quoted. Fixed it myself with $30 worth of napa 2 inch fuel hose. Search the threads and you'll find our complete replacement info. Lots of people here will point you in the right direction.
I replaced the hose on my 92 Ext Cab and went right out and passed CA emissions.
Kinda tough gettin the hose onto the fuel tank but with a blow drier and WD 40 you can do it.
Best of luck to you!

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Search junkyards for this item. I can have my bed off in a half hour (I just did it today to fix the same thing.)

You have pulled one bed. Now you know every step and how easy it is.

You can probably get it for 10 bucks and a hour at the junkyard.

Last edited:

lhc_cj7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I swear I did search before posting but didn't find anything that fit. Anyway, great idea's. I'll hit napa and see what they have and I'll check out the local marine store too. I'll let you know how it goes. :icon_bounceblue:

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
My old '91 Ranger had a hacked up filler hose when i bought it, the replaced the out side hose with what I thought was a napa radiator hose but I geuss if they sell 2" fuel hose thats what it was.

worked perfect though.

Rarasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found it! Search "Fuel Filler Neck" and it should come up. Good luck.

lhc_cj7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was surprised to see the plastic pipe from end to end. So what your saying is to get a fuel hose with an ID of 2" and wiggle onto the plastic pipe using heat? Sounds easy enough. Now I see why paying ford the $300 is :bsflag:

Rarasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep. Just remember to use the WD 40 inside the new hose and some patience when connecting the new hose to the fuel tank. It took some cussing and some sweat to get it on there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals