• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Tailgate Repair???

flagport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I took the tailgate off my 92 Ranger for the purpose of replacing the support cables on both sides, and to tighten up the loose latch mechanism on the right side caused by previous operators letting the tailgate fall onto the cable.

Seems I had read somewhere where you could access the handle and latch mechanisms through an access port of some type. I removed the silver center piece on the outside of the gate, but found no inspection port or way to get access to the interior of the gate. I then removed the lower bolt on the left side and found that it was only held in by a washer type nut. I loosened the top bolt on that side, but still couldn't get behind the latch mechanism to inspect anything inside the gate, or get to the latch arm between the latch and the opening handle.

Is there some trick or secret to gaining access to the interior of the tailgate where you can repair or replace some the opening/latching mechanism?

Tried a search, but little on tailgate repair.

Thanks for any advice.

Ron

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I took the tailgate off my 92 Ranger for the purpose of replacing the support cables on both sides, and to tighten up the loose latch mechanism on the right side caused by previous operators letting the tailgate fall onto the cable.

Seems I had read somewhere where you could access the handle and latch mechanisms through an access port of some type. I removed the silver center piece on the outside of the gate, but found no inspection port or way to get access to the interior of the gate. I then removed the lower bolt on the left side and found that it was only held in by a washer type nut. I loosened the top bolt on that side, but still couldn't get behind the latch mechanism to inspect anything inside the gate, or get to the latch arm between the latch and the opening handle.

Is there some trick or secret to gaining access to the interior of the tailgate where you can repair or replace some the opening/latching mechanism?

Tried a search, but little on tailgate repair.

Thanks for any advice.

Ron
I just took my latch out so I hope i can help you. There isn't an access panel that you can get into it to work on it, while it is in the tailgate.

What you need to do is take the latch out. There are three bolts right behind the latch on the backside of the tailgate. You take those out. Then what i did sense i replaced the entire latch, was on either side of the tailgate there are latches that actually hold it up i took the bolts out of them to give me slack in the metal rods that link them to the latch. That allowed me to disconnect the rods from the latch and slide it out.

I will try to get some pics on line about what I am talking about it will make this a lot easier to explain.

flagport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Cookiemonster,

Thanks for the quick reply, and would appreciate any pics that you may have of the operation.

It appears that you have to take all the bolts out (an upper and a lower in each end latch, and three in the center opening handle-seven in all). This then allows you enough slack in either side to disengage one of the two rods linking the handle to the latches, which then allows you to pull center guts out thru the opposite latch hole.

If this is the case, then I guess I didn't go far enough in the disassembly process, but got worried about how everything would get hooked back up, especially the alignment of the the center pull handle with its bolt holes in order to reattach the bolts. Did you have any problem getting everything to line back up again?

I've seen an overhaul or tailgate component kit in the LMC truck catalog, so assume all these gut parts are replaceable.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to take the other six bolts out tonight and see what I end up with. May be further questions tomorrow.

Ron

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hey cool you're in Cocoa, that's pretty close. Good luck with the latch. They can be daunting sometimes but shouldn't be too difficult.

flagport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Kelly, and hello neighbor. Appreciate the support. I'm a noobie at this mechanical stuff, but with a new awsome shop and wanting to learn...with a little help from my friends on TRS from time to time.

Have a great weekend.

Ron

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Cookiemonster,

Thanks for the quick reply, and would appreciate any pics that you may have of the operation.

It appears that you have to take all the bolts out (an upper and a lower in each end latch, and three in the center opening handle-seven in all). This then allows you enough slack in either side to disengage one of the two rods linking the handle to the latches, which then allows you to pull center guts out thru the opposite latch hole.

If this is the case, then I guess I didn't go far enough in the disassembly process, but got worried about how everything would get hooked back up, especially the alignment of the the center pull handle with its bolt holes in order to reattach the bolts. Did you have any problem getting everything to line back up again?

I've seen an overhaul or tailgate component kit in the LMC truck catalog, so assume all these gut parts are replaceable.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to take the other six bolts out tonight and see what I end up with. May be further questions tomorrow.

Ron
Realignment was not too hard, I am sorry to say that I do not know if i still have the pictures. One of our computer's hard drives crashed, taking a lot of my pics with it. I think they might still be on the camera but i can't find that either. I apologize,

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: Hmmm... My tailgate does have an access port. When you open the tailgate, and its hanging by the cables, the port faces up. It should be a rectangular panel with something like 8 sheet metal screws holding it on. Once open, you will see 2 long rods that go to each side mechanism, held together in the middle by a latch that pulls each one in when you lift the handle.

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused: Hmmm... My tailgate does have an access port. When you open the tailgate, and its hanging by the cables, the port faces up. It should be a rectangular panel with something like 8 sheet metal screws holding it on. Once open, you will see 2 long rods that go to each side mechanism, held together in the middle by a latch that pulls each one in when you lift the handle.
the latch sounds the same as what i took out of my 86. You wouldn't be able to get pics for him would you?

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
the latch sounds the same as what i took out of my 86. You wouldn't be able to get pics for him would you?
I'll see if I can snap some tomorrow with my moms camera. I am a cheap SOB and still havent bought my own digital camera.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I didnt get too much detail in my pix, but here they are:

Circled in red is the panel that you'll need to remove from the tailgate. In the last pic you can see the mechanism that will need adjusting. Btw, If your tailgate is just not staying up, the latch may just be sticking. Before you adjust anything, just spray some graphite on there and it should work smoothly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have a different generation of truck.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
You have a different generation of truck.
Yes, I figured they might be the same or similar so It would be worth trying to help.

Sorry if my info was useless, which is not too uncommon lol. But I'd be surprised if there wasnt some sort of way to get at the latch. You shouldnt have to take off the shell.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals