• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L Vulcan Transplant - Computer Help Needed!

Mitch_c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was given a 3.0L V6 from a 99 Ranger. Included was the ECU, Engine wiring harness, and 5speed trans. (I have an under hood fuse box and wiring harness from a 98 Explorer.. Pinning appears to be close).

Originally I was going to keep engine as a spare for my rebodied 2003 Ranger (has 1940 Ford Pickup "skin" transplanted. Changed direction and have physically put the "spare" in a 1971 MGB, wanting it to power the roadster.

The PATS system is the only issue I don't know how to get around. I have no key or PATS matching the ECU.

Is there any way you know to wire around the PATS circuit in the ECU? Any other cost effective ways to overcome my delema?

I also have a 97 Taurus non-PATS ECU. Would it be feasible and more cost effective to use it? What would I need??

Lots of questions.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.:eek::icon_confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, no way around PATS, programmers can reload software and delete it, no I don't know any :)

PATS disables fuel injectors, main point of what computer does, so a good anti-theft software.

Outside of reloading software no changes to computer can be made while it is out of the vehicle.
A mobile locksmith with Ford software on a laptop can Cut and add PATS keys to the system if it is wire up correctly in the vehicle

1999-2001 Rangers used separate PATS module(above glove box) which is "married" to the computer, so they are a matched set, if you need to change either one then only a Ford Dealer can "remarry" them.
They used RSA encryption, what that means is that each time key is turned on, a long number encrypted by Module is sent to the computer, computer then decrypts that number to get the "Start" or No Start" message.
That encrypted number changes each time so knowing what it was once doesn't help the next time.
Look up RSA encryption if you want to see how it works, very simple and very secure for this type of use.

Also a couple of other changes in the late 1990's
1998 and up computer will be set for 65psi fuel pressure, Returnless, earlier would be set for 35psi pressure

1999 and up used 2-wire Cam Sensor, earlier use 3-wire
2-wire is variable reluctance
3-wire is hall effect
Totally different signals no way to wire around that, so you need to match Cam sensor to computer year and wiring harness.
Not a big deal just need to change the cam synchro and sensor

Last edited:

Mitch_c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still Struggling

Well... I've not been able to find a pre-PATS 3.0L Ranger parts donor vehicle as of yet. :bawling::bawling:

.. Am I correct that 95-97 are the years I need to find...correct?

.. Will a Taurus or Sable harness, ECM, etc work even if I use manual trans?

Any valid options, other than not using the 3.0L Vulcan, would greatly be appreciated.

Mitch

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 1995 to 1997 for fuel pressure reasons

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well... I've not been able to find a pre-PATS 3.0L Ranger parts donor vehicle as of yet. :bawling::bawling:

.. Am I correct that 95-97 are the years I need to find...correct?

.. Will a Taurus or Sable harness, ECM, etc work even if I use manual trans?

Any valid options, other than not using the 3.0L Vulcan, would greatly be appreciated.

Mitch
The PCM needs to be from a manual trans Ranger. An auto PCM will be looking for inputs that aren't present with a manual transmission. Technically, you could use an aftermarket tuner and delete the auto trans functions from a Taurus PCM, or auto Ranger PCM, but it's difficult to pull off well and if you're buying a tuner, then you can just delete the PATS stuff from your current PCM.

Honestly, the custom tuner is the way that I'd go. $400-ish will get you a decent SCT handheld with 3 custom tunes that can account for most any modifications that might be required to put the Vulcan in your MG. You can change tunes anytime you want, and it can be used as a codes reader too. It will save you a bunch of time looking for the perfect donor, and then hoping that the donor PCM works as planned.

Mitch_c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK... I've potentially found a 98 Ranger 3.0 manual trans ECM..

Questions are: - Will the 99 Ranger engine harness work with this?
- Will there be an issue with the Cam Positioning Sensor?
- Will an engine compartment harness from a non-ranger 3.0 manual
trans vehicle work and if so, which ones?

Mitch_c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trying to stay away from a custom reprogram and instead use production items, in case a future problem would arise that would result in needing to replace components...

Have a line on a computer for a 98 Ranger 5speed 3.0 computer.. should be Non-PATS.. Next is wiring harness compatibility. Only harnesses I have are 99 Ranger 4speed engine harness and 98 Explorer Sport under hood wiring harness with fuse and relay box.. These will plug together, but I've not got a good feeling about pinning compatibility.

Also, I need to know the specific minimum pin connections needed to get the engine to run.. I'm sure that not all are needed to do engine and fuel management (referring to the connections from the engine wiring harness to the under hood wiring harness..

When I started this journey, I'd hoped that a Taurus Computer would work and acquired a wiring shop manual for a 96 Taurus.. as well as an 03 Ranger..not knowing of the apparent significant differences....

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is your 3.0 engine flex fuel, or regular? What about the non-PATS PCM that you're considering is it from a flex fuel truck? If the engine and PCM aren't the same fuel type, you'll need to swap injectors to match whatever the PCM is setup for. This could be an added expense. Try and avoid it if you can.

Some 3.0s had EGR, while others did not. This can cause issues with harness and PCM compatibility. Nothing that can't be overcome with a custom reflash, but it could present a hurdle for you. Does your 3.0 have EGR? Will the PCM be expecting it to? Is the harness setup for an EGR valve if it needs to be?

I understand wanting to avoid a reprogrammed PCM. But there are potentially a bunch of little obstacles that might have to be overcome depending on specifics of the engine, harness, and PCM that you have. They can all be taken care of by searching for the exact combination of hardware that you need, or by just reprogramming the PCM you already have and loading a new tune in 5 minutes.
You might get lucky with the parts though and not have any issues with compatibility.

JayLapp03ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok im not the only person that has came about this very same problem. I have an 03 ranger 4x2 was auto trans now manual trans with a 3.0L. I got the truck for nothing its got no rust and very little body damage but it didnt have any keys and i didnt know anything about fords pats system until soon after i took ownership!!! man let me tell you it wasnt easy but i drive the truck today and i didnt put a dime in it other then a couple hours of my time .I could tell you what i did to bypass pats system if your intrested. just let me know on this thread ill check it from time to time

ReadyFireAim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Transmission
Automatic
Ok im not the only person that has came about this very same problem. I have an 03 ranger 4x2 was auto trans now manual trans with a 3.0L. I got the truck for nothing its got no rust and very little body damage but it didnt have any keys and i didnt know anything about fords pats system until soon after i took ownership!!! man let me tell you it wasnt easy but i drive the truck today and i didnt put a dime in it other then a couple hours of my time .I could tell you what i did to bypass pats system if your intrested. just let me know on this thread ill check it from time to time
I’d like to know more about how you solved your problem. I no longer have a functional key for my 2007 Ranger.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I’d like to know more about how you solved your problem. I no longer have a functional key for my 2007 Ranger.
- Buy 2 new keys (must have 2, cannot be clones)
- have them cut to fit your ignition
- get a windows based laptop
- download forscan
- buy a usb-to-obd2 adapter
- program the new keys via forscan software

Or hire a locksmith.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 is non-PATS. Thank you very much!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FIRST thing is to tell us why key no longer works
Does it not Turn the cylinder to unlock the steering wheel and turn on the power?
If so then it is a mechanical issue not a PATS(passive anti-theft) issue

If it turns the lock but you get a Flashing Theft light, and no start up, then its a PATS issue
Leave the key on and wait 45-60seconds, the Theft light will start to flash a 2 digit code, 1 flash a pause then 1 to 6 flashes, longer pause then it repeats
That code number will tell you WHY key is not working
Most common issue is the transceiver, its the powered antenna around the key slot, easy to swap out

Theft light code flashes
11 Transceiver [transponder coil] not connected, or there is no power to it.
12 Transceiver internal fault.
13 No Key/no PATS key has been used to turn the ignition switch.
14 Incomplete key code received.
15 Invalid key code received.
16 CAN communications error.

If its a Key issue then a Mobile Locksmith that has Ford Software is the least expensive option
They can cut new PATS keys and add them to your PATS module
They can also fix a mechanical issue, i.e. key is not turning in the lock

99rangers

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
My credo
Whatever can be put off till tomorrow, should be put off untill tomorrow.
Is this 5he end of this thread?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals