• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 exhaust backfire, won't start in SC

firedawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Breaking down and asking for help finally... got a 94 explorer manual 270k that i've been messing with for 6 months. Not my primary vehicle but I miss the gas mileage. Problem started way back with a slight stumble which I figured fuel filter. Got progressivley worse the following days where it would idle find but when you hit the accelerator it would stumble and pop. Got to the point where it wouldnt go anymore. Actually got it started maybe 4 months ago and it idled nice and smooth but when you gave it gas it went stupid again. It showed some EGR codes that I never pursued. Now when cranking it backfires thru the exhaust and pisses all the dogs off in town.

Ignition module (checked twice), coils checked, new crankshaft position sensor, fuel filter changed, fuel pressure around 36 if I remember right. Changed out the computer today for one bought from a fellow member on this site, no change. I'm a decent shadetree mechanic but I need some direction with this one.

Seems like timing but when I had it running last it idled perfect. I'm thinking timing advance maybe? I understand there is a sensor in place of the distributor, heard its a bear to get to. Figured the computer reads both sensors on the cam and crank. Timing issue due to mileage? Not sure of maintenance history on timing chain? or belt? since ive only had it a couple of years.

Any suggestions or checklist to start from the top off? Thanks for reading.

Tony in SC :icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Now is the no start issue limited to South Carolina, or does it continue into other states?

There is a sensor in the back where the distributor would be, and it is used for timing advance, you are correct.

I would also agree that it sounds like you have a timing issue. It runs fine at idle so your base timing is OK. It's backfiring out the exhaust when you rev it, so your timing is not advancing. I'd hit it with a cam sensor and see what happens.

firedawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for reply. The state comment had an alterior motive. Again thanks for the direction.

marauderx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Lots of sarcasm around here man, just roll with it, bust some balls back at em, and laugh with us. I am from the muddy coast/Cajun country where we eat anything that moves, adsm08 probably eats philly cheese steaks 3 times a day, and we have had a few no start Q's come out of SC... Let me restate the Mantra- "Check the Grounds" Repeat 25X-

firedawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl:
Which grounds? the one beside the computer looks fine. Battery ground?

redjmp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did you ever resolve this problem and find out the cause?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals