• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing thermostat

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As I have posted before, recently bought a 97 ranger 2.3l 2wd for my kid. It seems to take quite awhile to warm up so I fugure I'll just replace the thermostat. First, after buying it, I thought maybe the parts guy thought it was a go-cart. Can't believe how small it is. Now I look at the motor and think maybe its not as easy as it used to be on my old Ford. Can someone give me a quick write up as to replace it, have a gallon of antifreeze and a gasket at the ready. Thanks in advance.

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
May want to inspect and/or consider replacing the rubber timing belt at the same time. How many miles on the ole boy?

T.

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
167k, I think you are right. I've read here that you can actually inspect the TB for wear, they don't just go. There is a pipe that comes out from the block where I would think the thermostat goes that is pretty rusty, probably will replace that too.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
167k, I think you are right.
Your due for a belt, service change interval is 100K.

I've read here that you can actually inspect the TB for wear, they don't just go.
They rarely show signs of failing, except for a rare occasion when they start to seperate and you hear parts hitting the timing cover, they usually just snap.

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Dave, I'll get one right away. Do you know if the thermostat is located where the upper coolant supply hose meets the intake?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Do you know if the thermostat is located where the upper coolant supply hose meets the intake?
Sort of, it's behind the oulet were the upper radiator hose meets the cylinder head.

FCguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
95'
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
slight thread jack!

My temp gauge seems to always sit lower than normal than what it did when I first bought my truck. Got the haynes manual and it barly sheds any light on the replacement of the thremostat. I went out a looked and it seems like it will be a PITA to replace. Its under and set back from the cam gear and a hard AC line goes right in front of where I want to be. Does it just LOOK difficult or is it really a PITA? Being a working student I have to plan ahead to have enough time to do it.

THANKS

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
FCguy,
What year is your truck? Some are easier than others, none are really that difficult. It's only held on by two bolts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals