• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inexpensive 4/3 ch Amp suggestions

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Cooler boombox build

Ok, I need suggestions on a cheap 4 channel amp where ch 1 and 2 will power some 5X7s and ch 3/4 can be bridged to power one 8in sub.

I am building something similar to one of these and am looking for an inexpensive amp. I've seen Boos and SoundStorm on Amazon but dont know anything about them.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Cooler radio/onebadyfz450/Picture122.jpg

My other option would to use a head unit (I already have) to power the 5X7s and use a 2ch amp I already have to power the sub.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Depends what you define cheap as... $100?

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
under $100, new / used / refurbished. Keeping an eye on ebay but want to see if anyone has suggestions

I have the cooler, found 5X7s, an 8in sub and amp kit for $80 total. So I just need (besides misc materials) an amp, battery and an on/off switch (I think that's all I need, will see when I dive into it)

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So if I run a head unit (to power the 2 6X9s) and a 2ch amp (which I already have) to power the 8in sub, will that draw a considerable more amount of juice from the battery as opposed to running just a 4ch amp (without a head unit) and just hook an ipod to the amp input. Either way I need to buy either a head unit or a 4ch amp, just trying to use as much as what i already have an buy a little as possible

http://www.gtcharlie.com/2007/2007_08_08_Cooler Stereo/Images/156-5688_IMG.JPG

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I bought an amp from a place on Ebay called Ike Sound. Awesome place to deal with. They have an Ebay store, and their own webpage. They sell new and refurbished amps for really great prices.

www.ikesound.com/4_channel

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as possible as it is to do it that way.. i wouldnt recomend that at all.
for a few reasons...
If you run a 4 channel with 3/4 bridged and just run the imput the sub will be very shallow and you will probably underdrive your sub and melt a voice coil.
A head unit, even a cheepie, will give you alot of tunability and will really provide you with a better sound.
the power draw from a head unit isnt that major along with an amp.
You can pick up used head units cheep on craigslist. i might even have a newer pioneer unit laying around that i would be willing to send you if you pay shipping on it that would have ipod capability if you order a cable from pioneer. and it will power speakers with no problem.
Also check your local best buy, tis the season for new models and the old ones, at least down here, are dirt cheep same with the floor models.

if you want to put together a complete package a company out here called Sonicelectronix.com has just about the cheepest prices i have ever seen and they do free shipping on all orders.

in my truck i just upgraded to an alpine head unit with Kenwood and have had kenwood door speakes, a cheepie rock foss 2 channel amp and a kicker 10 and it sounds great and it was all for under 400 because i bought at the right time.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The headunit route is the route I am leaning toward. Been watching Craigslist. That and a battery are the only things i still have to get.

Cooler - Already had, 60qt Rubbermaid with wheels http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/rubbermaid-wheeled-cooler--60-qt.

Speakers - 2 Pioneer 6X9s I already had that I was going to put in the truck Got some 5X7 for truck so using the 6X9s for this project. Plus the 6x9s have grills, the 5X7 do not

Sub - JBL 8in from Amazon. Being shipped

Amp Kit

Misc materials

Head unit and Amp - pending

So far I am $120 into it (if you figure in the cost of the 5X7s) and still need a battery and headunit/amp. The Pioneer 6X9s are "300w" max. Will a headunit properly run those and sound good or should I get a 4ch amp to run all 3 speakers?

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ur talking 300 max so ur lookin anywhere from 50 to 75 rms so yes a head unit will push them fine if u have a decent deck and it is set up right

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
....you will probably underdrive your sub and melt a voice coil.....
I hate to tell you, but there is no reasonable way you can melt a voice coil by "under powering"...Don't know how you came across this info, but they are blowing smoke up your a$$ and don't know $h!t...
As far as the op's question, amps like Sony, mtx, and kicker are decent amps in a decent price range. Walmart has a decent 4 channel Sony that's 100 rms watts x 4 channels. I would run the front channels to the highs and mods (parellel the left two speakers on the left channel, the right two on the right channel) then bridge the rear channel to the sub. Running this way the amp will be running at a 2 ohm stereo load on all four channels (providing the sub is single voice coil and not dual). The amp might run a little warm, but will not run hot (unless you play at high levels for a consistent length of time), so amp placement where airflow can reach is necessary. Under a seat is fine, in the corner behind the folding jumpseat is not...

SVT

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I hate to tell you, but there is no reasonable way you can melt a voice coil by "under powering"...Don't know how you came across this info, but they are blowing smoke up your a$$ and don't know $h!t...
As far as the op's question, amps like Sony, mtx, and kicker are decent amps in a decent price range. Walmart has a decent 4 channel Sony that's 100 rms watts x 4 channels. I would run the front channels to the highs and mods (parellel the left two speakers on the left channel, the right two on the right channel) then bridge the rear channel to the sub. Running this way the amp will be running at a 2 ohm stereo load on all four channels (providing the sub is single voice coil and not dual). The amp might run a little warm, but will not run hot (unless you play at high levels for a consistent length of time), so amp placement where airflow can reach is necessary. Under a seat is fine, in the corner behind the folding jumpseat is not...

SVT

This is going in a cooler, not the truck

http://www.gtcharlie.com/2007/2007_08_08_Cooler Stereo/Images/156-5688_IMG.JPG

Same cooler, layout will be different

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Got a Sony headunit and an 4 ch Alpine amp this weekend off craigslist for under $100 total. The Alpine amp is actually exactly like the one I already have that is going in the truck soon. Ch 3/4 are bridgeable to power the sub. The head unit is pretty new (still available new) Just had to get the harness off eBay)

Dug through my stuff this weekend to see what else i could use and found some Blaupunkt 4X6s i forgot I had that I will use as well as speaker grills for them and the 6X9. Also found all the cables I needed as well as an extra car kit for my portable XM radio. Feels good to find a good use for this stuff.

So my plan is to power the 4X6s off the head unit, the 6X9s and 8in sub off the amp. Also going to get some fans and build a snorkel for cooling

Battery suggestions? Don't think there will be room for a full sized car battery. Are there smaller cars that use smaller batteries?

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You can get some batteries used for backup power supplies. You can also use the batteries out of the emergency lights located in commercial buildings that come on when a power failure occurs. Some of those are 6 volt batteries, you will have to get 2 and wire in series to give you 12 volts, but they will work, and they are small. Depending on how long you want it to play, you might need multiple batteries...

SVT

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
1... you get what you pay for
2... a headunit gives you far superior controls over an iPod straight to a 4 channel amp.
3... if you run iPod straight to the amp, if you wanna do it right and get decent sound, get some kind of line driver for the iPod(something like this... not neccasarily this one, but... yeah http://www.ipodcarpros.com/Direct_To_Amplifier_Adapters/c14/p469/iAMPcbl_-_iPod_to_Amp/product_info.html?osCsid=dls5shjtpjp9bmsimadst3aud0), which will probably cause you to need a noise filter... meaning a good $100 Pioneer headunit with usb for iPod hookup will save you trouble and give you am/fm/cd options also, WITH more control on your sound.

personally, i'd run a Pioneer headunit to power 2 5x7's and 2 front speakers (or 2 small tweeters) and then push the amp with the Sub out from the headunit

and yeah, i say you get what you pay for then i say $100 pioneer headunit.... i realize that. i've ran several of them and been impressed for sure. just don't buy it at walmart...there is a difference.

oh and most of the Newer Pioneer's, you don't need the Pioneer cable for the iPod to work...just your regular data cable. I have the mvh8200bt and I use my data cable straight to the headunit.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Battery suggestions? Don't think there will be room for a full sized car battery. Are there smaller cars that use smaller batteries?
A lot of Hondas use pretty small 51 group size batteries. Lawn tractor batteries are very small and relatively lightweight. The best choice though IMO would be a power sport battery, used in motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. These are deep cycle batteries, so they're much more tolerant of being run down and charged back up multiple times. Regular car batteries are only meant for starting cars, where they deliver one burst of power to start the engine and then get recharged, and they don't like being run down till they're dead. Power sport batteries are also very small and lightweight. Just make sure you secure it and the battery stays upright.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The best choice though IMO would be a power sport battery, used in motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. These are deep cycle batteries, so they're much more tolerant of being run down and charged back up multiple times. Power sport batteries are also very small and lightweight. Just make sure you secure it and the battery stays upright.
This was what I was kinda thinking just based on size, but the added points you noted, sounds like this is what I will get. And a quick glance at Amazon shows options under $50.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals