• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to make more power in a 4.0

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys ive got a 94 4.0L 5sp and i bought it as a winter truck (drive a cammed n2o mustang in the summer) and it wasnt long before i couldnt handle it being stock its got 3in body lift 31x10.50s now but ive got a 6in suspension kit sitting in the barn and a set of 35 and 38 12.50s to pick from. the big question is in your guys experience whats the cheapest way to make power in the 4.0? i realize with anough money you can do anything but starting with the basics working up to forced induction (which im considering) whats some of the more basic things you guys have found for these motors? and if anyones dont the m90 sc im looking for only like 5lbs of boost not a lot so what would i be looking at for something around there? i just need some more torque for these 35s thanks a head of time and sorry i know its a vague question but i dont really know how else to word it.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Regear!!! With 35's I'd go at least 4.88's... Really to make power you need to open up the engine and do work... If it's that big of a deal to you swap in a V8... For the price of swapping in a 5.0 you might be able to get the 4.0L to what a stock 5.0L puts out... Putting money into a 5.0L will get you better results anyway... Otherwise, I'd regear and just live with it... There are plenty of people who run 35's on the stock 4.0L...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals