• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Edge Starting problems

bg@f.ord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My Edge wouldn't start a couple weeks ago.I called my insurance for a free tow.Before they arrived,it started.Today I had the same problem.I tried starting it a few times over the next 30 mins.I didn't call for a tow.A man got on his smartphone and Googled to find the fuel pump shut off switch.It didn't seem to be tripped.We pulled the wire connector off and put it back on.It started.I'm baffled.I don't think we did anything.Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe fuel pump,fuel filter,or cutoff switch,etc.....

ChargerOnDavins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
two 2003, 1 200
Make / Model
3 Ford & 1 Dodg
Transmission
Automatic
My Edge wouldn't start a couple weeks ago.I called my insurance for a free tow.Before they arrived,it started.Today I had the same problem.I tried starting it a few times over the next 30 mins.I didn't call for a tow.A man got on his smartphone and Googled to find the fuel pump shut off switch.It didn't seem to be tripped.We pulled the wire connector off and put it back on.It started.I'm baffled.I don't think we did anything.Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe fuel pump,fuel filter,or cutoff switch,etc.....
Its difficult to help you when you don't explain. When you say it won't start, was it not turning over or did it click?

Not trying to be rude just trying to help.

You can hear fuel pump if you turn the key. Turn the key (not to start) but as if you were going to, You should hear a high pitched humm. If you hear it, your fuel pump is theoretically fine.

If it sounds mumbled or you don't hear it, you may have a problem. Mine was quiet in my 1992 3.0 so i replaced the fuel filter and it sounded normal again and I had no trouble.

bg@f.ord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2002 Edge starting problems

I had the starting problem again.(It turns over just fine).This time I tried letting it sit for 15 min.s It started right up.It seems to do this when I've been driving & shut it off.It's been scorching hot in San Diego lately.I don't know if that's a factor.So far ,I feel pretty confident about getting to work on time.But I almost missed the Charger game on Sunday.For the moment it's just an annoyance.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like a fuel pump going bad. Listen for the pump noise next time it wont start. you should hear a little buzz noise from the tank. If not suspect pump.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cycle the key on & off for 5-6 times with a 15 sec pause between off & on before you actually try to start the truck. My guess is it will fire right up then & if so you have a fuel pump going bad like was suggested. Also just because you hear the pump running does not mean it is producing sufficient pressure to activate the injectors correctly, you need to check the fuel pressure, that & the key cycle test will tell you real quick if you have a fuel pump problem.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals