• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger with RABS - Clicks when Stopping - Please Reply

nofordstranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am sorry to post a new thread about this issue but all the other clicking treads were 4wd abs issues. Symptoms are = Clicking when slowly braking to a stop. It also downshifts at the wrong time just as I apply brake to come to stop. This doesnt happen every time I stop, about 60% of the time. I know when the downshift is wrong that its going to click when I stop. The clicking sound is right in front of me under the hood I think. The RABS doesnt have sensors in the front, or does it? I read every thread about this issue and found no real solution. When I get it fixed I will post my solution. I wish everyone would do that, lots of non resolved threads here.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 4x4 with RABS as well. I would assume the clicking noise is the RABS under the hood because whenever I brake too hard I can hear it clicking. Have you checked your rear brakes? I'm no expert and I haven't even bothered looking at this "issue" but the shoes are worn on the rear of my truck and need replacing.

DennisF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have exactly the same problem on my '98 - 2WD. I'm also experiencing a rotor wear concern that I've posted below, and am wondering if the two problems may be related. How are your rotors wearing?

I'm thinking that the problem may be out-of-tolerance guide pins. So, once I resolve the rotor/pad wear concern, I'll be replacing the caliper mounts and pins. I'll be watching your post for suggested resolutions.

DennisF

nofordstranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am replacing the rear brake shoes today

I am going to replace the rear brake shoes today and will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your replies. By the way I resolved my poor drive ability issues. Turns out the spark plugs that I just put in less than a month ago were bad. Don't ask me how, but I replaced with Autolite 103 Copper Plugs and runs great. When I first put in the Autolite Platinum Plugs it ran great for about 3 or 4 days then the misfire started. This made it hard to diagnose because the last thing I would have thought was the plugs since I just replaced them. Drove me crazy for about 2 weeks. I have had bad luck with the platinum plugs, they suck.

Sean806

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am having the same problem...Everytime I go to brake, just normally, RABS kicks in and I can feel it in my pedal, also clicks under the hood. WTF?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
You may need to replace the ABS unit under the hood. My friend was having a similar issue with a 2002 F-150 he was working on, replaced the unit with a good ebay unit and replaced both front sensors and the problem was resolved. Obviously you'll need to bleed all the brakes when you're done.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think this article is only about RABS so there should be no sensors in the front.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals