• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please Read: Vapor Canister/Evap System Thing...Fix? Or Can I Remove?

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so my check engine light is on...has been ever since I have bought my truck...the guy I bought it from said it was something to do with the gas cap or something. I got the code checked at a shop and they said there is something a lil hose thing that can get plugged or whatever. But I didn't do anything it. I took it to a shop one time and they tried some stuff but the mechanic said his best guess was it needs a new Vapor canister.

Now. I checked on rockauto (parts site of champions!) and there like...50 bucks to replace...I could probably get one at a junkyard cheaper. But I get to thinking...really there just a liability. There a possibility for vacuum leaks and things messing up again and throwing codes...theres one hose that attaches to the gas tank correct? I'm going to pull the bed sometime and check that out eventually.

So my questions are:

1: Is the code I have now putting my truck into limp mode or anything? I do get pretty crappy gas mileage...I can't remember the code...its something like Evap Purge...I'm really not sure. I do not have a code reader :annoyed: Something related to the whole evap thing.

2: If I removed the whole system, (block off the hole in the tank, removed canister and everything) what would the effects be in terms of power and mileage?

3: I know the trucks computer would be pissed at me if I did that, and I eventually want to get a good tuner (like SCT X3 or whatever...the good ones...not just a superchips thing)...so could I get a tuner to make the computer happy without the whole evap system? (And potentially EGR removed...thats another thing that can plug up and go wrong...I'd rather eliminate potential things that could go wrong that really don't benefit me)

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help you may give me

P.S. I really don't care about the environment...and Saskatchewan is not stingy with emissions...I live by a mine that gives out more pollution in one day then my truck ever will in its whole life

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The code would really be helpful. It is usually the Evap purge solenoid that goes for a crap. Its under the hood on the drivers side. There will be a vacuum line from the intake, to the purge solenoid, then it will go to the evap canister.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
The code would really be helpful. It is usually the Evap purge solenoid that goes for a crap. Its under the hood on the drivers side. There will be a vacuum line from the intake, to the purge solenoid, then it will go to the evap canister.
I have actually taken off that purge solenoid, shook it, sprayed it with carb cleaner, shook it again, and it worked. You may be just as lucky.

Pete

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

Is this the purge soleniod?

Also...what is this thing? Haha

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The second picture is the solenoid

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Second picture? Alright...I'll try carb cleaning that thing..whats in the first picture then? haha

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That is the PF (Purge Flow sensor)

The diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) associated with an electrical fault of the PF sensor are P1444 (PF sensor circuit low input) and P1445 (PF sensor circuit high input). The DTC associated with an electrical fault of the EVAP canister purge valve is P0443 (EVAP canister purge valve circuit malfunction).

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ahh alright. Well I'll try carb cleaning the solenoid...disconnect the battery and see if the CEL stays off. If I disconnected the battery it would usually stay off until I filled the gas tank up again

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I finally got around to this...I managed to wriggle off the hose on the one end but then check out the other end:

Its like a hard plastic hose formed onto the other end...how do I get that off without breaking things?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take your GRILL LIGHTER and heat it up! When soft it should slide right off.
Big Jim

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright sweet...same thing to put it back on?

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Alright well I took the solenoid off. Sprayed carb cleaner in both ends of the thing shook it a bit, etc etc. put everything back together. Only time will tell

One newb question: How do I clear up the computer off all codes, stored and active or whatever they are called. Just disconnect the battery? Or is there a procedure/specific amount of time I need to leave it undone?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Disconnect the negative cable for 5 or 10 minutes.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
check out th epurge solenoid to see if you can blow air threw it while it is off the vehicle. If air goes through it is stuck open. I had one a small piece of rubber from a hose was stuck in. See if you can get anything that is keeping it from sealing out of it. Then the code should go away after the computer detects the problem is fixed (a difference in the flow between Key on Engine off anf Key on engine running. I bought one at the dealership when I checked mine and seeign the air would flow, it looked like it was supposed to be open when no voltage was applied. Well the new one was closed with no voltage applied so I started playing with the old one. After getting the very small piece of rubber out I put it on the truck and had no code. The dealership has a no return on electrical parts policy so I decided to keep the old one just in case. never hurts to hold on to spare parts.

The solenoid energies when the truck is running to purge vapors from the purge canister. the sensor just detects that the solenoid is doing its job properly adn if no difference is detected in the flow it throws the P0443 code.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Bump. I just wanna know if I completely remove this thing and block off everything can I get it tuned so that the computer isn't all messed up? I'm thinking I will do this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals