• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger Edge 4.0L Idle problems

ronin1865

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been having idle problems ever since I changed my sparks plugs about a month ago. Basically, the problem has been random where when I am stopping or turning the truck or as I am changing in and out of a lower gear and low speeds (its 5speed by the way) the idle drops below 500RPM and almost stalls out. I have had it stall out a few times. It normally surges back up to a normal idle position. Now since yesterday it wants to stall out completely at a stop light or as switching the gears at low speed. It drops below 500RPM and was idling all this morning at 500RPM at a stop light. In order to get to work I had to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running. Any suggestions what it might be? As I am pretty SOL at this point.

ronin1865

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I replaced the IAC thinking that might be the cause of my problems. It help some but I still having engine idle problems. Truck rpm drop when stoping /shifting and rpm jumps around when stoped. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is one off those problems that can get expensive quick replacing parts.

gearheadjlm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Did you make sure you used the correct plug? Autozone (if you happened to get them there) list them as the wrong plug.

RPS Thread

Last edited:

ronin1865

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did do that the first time I changed them and it ran like crap. I checked on here and someone had posted something about that. I called the dealership and got the correct part number, and was able to get the correct ones from Advance. I changed the wires too at the same time and got those from as advance as well. Maybe those are the wrong one??? I didn't change the coil pack though.

But maybe I got bad plugs or wires or the coil pack went bad?? Seems like all of this happened around the time I changed my plugs.

I'm going to clean the MAF tonight with some MAF cleaner maybe that will help.

ronin1865

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so i cleaned the maf this weekend, but didn't make all that big of a difference. so, i'm thinking it might be the tps. has anyone had similar issues? can anyone tell me what their 4.0L idles at?

dragonranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
you may have an intake manifold leak, this can cause idle problems as well.

91rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2002
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv and sohc
Transmission
Manual
i got an 02 ranger edge with the 4.0 its an automatic but i was having the same problems, low idle, wanting to die at a stop and whatnot. i heard a vacum leak and i found that my pcv hose was brittle and leaking. put a new hose on and it fixed the problem. runs like a champ now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals