• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radio doesn't work anymore

mcstylis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone.. I need some advice.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado and the stock radio stopped working after having my brakes worked on. however there is power to the stereo, just no power in the radio. I'm wondering if there is a fuse inside the radio. I know about the cabin fuse and that is fine. is this a common problem? is there a separate amp?

what are some steps i can do to fix this? I want to keep the stock radio and not install an after market stereo.

Sammy :icon_confused:

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you have 12v at the plug in the back of the radio but it wont turn on?

I don't have access to Chevys wiring diagrams, but if there is power to all the wires that need it and a good ground, then chances are you have a bad radio. Unfortunately new factory radios are mostly non field serviceable and have to be sent out to be rebuilt/replaced.

A replacement factory radio is easily a few hundred dollars and that can buy you a much nicer aftermarket radio.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Uh yeah, a little clarification is needed here. So it has power to the stereo.... but not the radio? So are you saying it will play a tape/CD, but the radio doesn't function? That's what I'm reading, so maybe it's an antenna issue?

mcstylis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I just didn't want to use the word radio so many times. the dashboard stereo does not work since bringing it to the shop. no radio cd or anything else. Im not sure if they shorted something out. they claim we cant prove they did it. anyways. there is power leading up to the unit and then nothing.

Last edited:

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You said you had your brakes done, you mean pads and rotors? If so then I doubt they would have gone anywhere near your radio or its wiring.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Oddly enough, when I had my Cadillac, I had the radio just up and die one day, and coincidentally it told me something was wrong with the ABS and Traction Control at the same time (on board diagnostic display). Turned out that they were on the same fuse. And then what was really neat, was the damn thing had a security system on it that I had to enter a code on to make the stereo functional again.

This particular fuse was in the trunk IIRC. Check around and see if you can locate another fuse somewhere.

Just wanted to ask.... how come you chose a Ranger/Ford enthusiast forum to ask a GM question? Not that we are upset, just curious......

mcstylis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Transmission
Automatic
kcm1582: Yes.. I agree.. just letting you know why truck was there

Last edited:

mcstylis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy
Transmission
Automatic
shane96ranger: "Just wanted to ask.... how come you chose a Ranger/Ford enthusiast forum to ask a GM question? Not that we are upset, just curious...... "

I Googled the question and this Forum came up...

Also shane96ranger: The same issue with battery isn't a problem with the 2004 needing a code..Previous years yes but not 2004. Thank you for mentioning that

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You said you had your brakes done, you mean pads and rotors? If so then I doubt they would have gone anywhere near your radio or its wiring.
HAHAHA! Only in a POS chevy! I'm not going to get into this really. But, let's just say GM in all its infinite wisdom decided to run the ABS through the radio. So...Yes, doing a brake job can ruin a chevy radio.

Change to an aftermarket deck and you're looking at $120-$150 just for a harness that keeps your brakes intact!

Sincerely, your friendly MECP certified installer whom hates everything GM

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals