• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Your ultimate BOB (bug-out-bronco)

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm starting to think I could turn a BII into a really good BOB. Just a simple question for you folks: I'm wanting to go with a carb'd, point-ignited engine when my 2.9 fails. What would be a better engine for a zombie truck?

2.8L:
Lighter
Easier to swap
Easier on fuel (maybe?)

5.0L
Much more torque
Easier to find parts for
Cooler? More durable?

I'm more concerned about durability, reliability, and reasonable fuel mileage, than I am about maximum horsepower. Is 15 mpg attainable with a carb'd V8? Also, whats a good transmission to consider?

I would probably be driving the truck semi-regularly, and would like to have a simple, reliable truck that I can count on when the chips are down. Give me any ideas ya got. Thanks folks.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 and a4ld in my b2. with 4.56's and 33's (well 32.5's). on my last tank i got 18 mpgs in town.

now as far as when chips are down. i'd do the carb'ed v8. i was NEVER a fan of the 2.8's

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would forget the points, just run a solid state ignition and be done with it. Go from something that needs changed once a year to something that might need changed once every decade if you are unlucky and you never have to fiddle with. For points the rear dizzy on the 2.8 would be more irritating than the front dizzy on a 302 however.

If you have a fresh 2.8 I wouldn't be afraid to run it, probably get better gas milage than a 5.0... but 5.0's are laying all over gods green earth for parts though... :dntknw:

I ran my 2.8 hot, out of oil until it wouldn't run anymore... she would always crank back up. Give it awhile to seat the rings back in and away you go again. I don't know if the 302 is or isn't more durable but that 2.8 can take a beating :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The 2.8L is a really good motor. My B2 has a 5.0L in it, but it was in there when I got it. A 2.8L duraspark would be a great setup, just keep a spare duraspark setup in an EMP proof container. Also, 5.0L setups in the Ranger & B2 tend to be more prone to overheating.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the torque curve is kinda high on the 2.8 2.9 motors.To me they don't have that relaxed way of going down the road that the 5.0 has.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The main reason I'm considering the 2.8 is that I'm not sure which trans would be best behind the 5.0L. I have the option of the AOD, which may be tough to adapt to a 4x4, a T5, which is in the same boat, or a ZF 5 speed, which would require a clutch system fabrication. Has anybody got the 5.0L/C4 swap? Ever tested the mpg with it? I have even considered a 700R4 swap, but I'm unsure about that as well. If I could get DECENT mileage (no, i'm not expecting 20mpg) with a C4 or C6, I'll just go that route.

With the 2.8, I could either build my A4LD, or swap in one of the Japanese 5 speeds without much hassle. I'm really not even considering computer controlled stuff right now. I'm not overly worried about EMP, but it's always something to think about (main reason I'm looking into points ignition).

A 4BT would be nice, but thats out of my league.

Any more input?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a C5 in mine (glorified C4), with 3.73 gears and 31" tires she is churning about 2700 down the highway at 55mph right on the verge of opening up the secondaries... milage sucks enough I haven't bothered to figure it.

If I ever find an M5OD I am going to latch onto it. 300/302/4.2L F-150's all came with them and the 97+ F-150's have a more desirable shift tower which is interchangable with the earlier trans. It would take the same fullsize t-cases than a 4wd AOD would use.

For something like this I think a manual would be more desirable than an automatic.

Unless you get something like a Petronix ignitor for your points dizzy I highly do not recommend running points.

Last edited:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
slant 6? durable as hell, get a 73-75 one, they have forged internals but will do good on unleaded gasoline. finding a trans tho is gona be hard, if your up to it, a 300 ci ford i6 is the most reliable durable beast ever!but there long as hell.... 2.8s are as common as other engines and arn't known for there MPGs, and IIRC, they were never points, so youd have to rig something up, personaly id go with electronic ignition and keep a spare ignition box wrapping in tinfoil.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Sorry for re-opening an old thread, but the EMP issue has started to get me thinking about what all I would need to make my 84 Bronco 2 EMP proof. I know I'd have to do some better searching on my B2 as of right now I'm not sure if its been durasparked or not, if there's a way to tell please let me know. I know the computer is in it, and not sure if it really does anything as the relay by the computer started malfunctioning this past winter so I threw the relay away, and it still runs, and drives, actually better than before. I'm not very electronically or electrically smart when it comes to these computer systems in vehicles, but I'm kind of thinking that the computer is no longer doing anything. So if I have to worry about an EMP and I go through all the trouble getting it durasparked, and an EMP hits it will destroy my duraspark setup as well, is there any point in really converting it over? I can't see where the computer is doing anything. Really wish I had someone around that is knowledgeable on these 2.8L engines that could look at this thing and tell me better what is going on with it because all I know is it runs and drive great, and I've disconnected stuff from the carburetor and it runs just fine. However from what I understand is the computer is also connected to the distributor, and if that's the case the computer must still somewhat function or I wouldn't think the truck would run at all.

Duraspark conversion seems a bit over my head when it comes to messing with wiring. I don't have the money to repair stuff, and I don't want to end up with a box on wheels sitting in my driveway that I can't use.

Anyone with some better knowledge would be a great help in this EMP protection idea.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
EMPs cause high voltage in circuits and wires, similar to what Solar flares can cause in the electrical distribution grid.

The metal body and frame shields most vehicle components from this type of electrical issues, so a corvette might not survive, lol.

There has been little testing on EMPs and cars/trucks, at least published testing, I would think the Military would have done extensive tests.

The tests that have been done resulted in cars/trucks that were not running at the time of the EMP started and ran fine after, so no effect.
Some of the cars/trucks that were running did stall at higher EM Pulses but restarted afterwards or a few restarted after computer was reset(battery unhooked and then hooked back up)

Metal buildings are better than concrete to protect against EMPs, so storing things in a Metal building or shed/container would be best.

Diesel engines don't have ignition systems, they do have fuel pumps and starter motors, but these don't seem to the effected electrical parts in an EMP.

Biggest issue, IMO, for an EMP and cars and trucks is that the electrical grid would be shut down so no gas stations would be working, so if you normally drive a distance from home then always have a 1/2 tank of fuel, or what is required to "get home"

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Hmm, maybe I'm overthinking the whole problem. I did see an EMP video on youtube where they set off an EMP and drove a Ford Taurus through it which shut off of course, but they claimed the car was dead after that and would never function again. I'm kind of thinking the older vehicles may be fine, possibly have to replace a coil or similar parts but nothing major.

I work 4 miles from home so I could easily walk home if I wanted to, but I don't think I'd have much of an issue just driving my Bronco 2 home as I try to keep quite a bit of gas in my vehicles at all times.

Thanks for the insight.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I don't know about your area but anything other than a small block chevy would be in trouble around here in a disaster. Everybody has Chevys locally and Ford parts are scarce. I would want an early Blazer in a Bug Out situation.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about your area but anything other than a small block chevy would be in trouble around here in a disaster. Everybody has Chevys locally and Ford parts are scarce. I would want an early Blazer in a Bug Out situation.
That could go both ways, if every one has Chevys then every one would be looking for Chevy parts, Ford parts would be available from lack of interest :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals