• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Oxford white vs Duplicolor Oxford White

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have an '01 Ranger Four door 4x4. Paint code YZ, Oxford White. I am color matching the door handles, tailgate handle, door locks, whipper blade arms, valance, and fendr flares. So far I have done the door and tail gate handles, grill door locks, and wiper blade arms. Last night when I sprayed them and it looked good, today i wake up after it dried all the way it has more of a yellowish to it then the body color. I used the Duplicolor Oxford White, preped it by sanding it with P600 Wet/Dry paper, washed with soap and water, then cleaned with Duplicolor Grease and Wax Remover, Sprayed with Duplicolor Adhesion Promotor, 5 coats of Duplicolor Oxford White, finished with 4 coats of Duplicolor Acrylic Coating.

Any ideas why the color difference?

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I would guess that one of the other things you used aside from the paint itself caused the color to be off. I had an oxford white ZX2 and the Duplicolor spray paint matched perfectly. If anything, it may have been just the slightest bit whiter than factory.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem on an Oxford White Ranger, the Duplicolor paint seemed a bit yellower also... I think it's just the teeniest bit off...

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
do ford dealerships sell paint?

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
do ford dealerships sell paint?
I called my local dealership and all they would sell me are those lil touch up pens that also have the brush in it. Not condusive for what I need.

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I switched to the Krylon Fusion Gloss White and its a damn close match to the Oxford White, just a lil brighter.

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Is it best to remove the door handles before painting???

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you're painting the doors, absolutely. If just the handles, it's up to you, but I would do it. Makes for a much cleaner looking job

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
PS I just painted my cab corners with Dupli Oxford White. It was a slight amount brighter. I used a white primer before hand so I didnt run into discoloring issues.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
We have several auto body supply stores that will match the paint exactly. It's usually about 16-20 dollars a can, but worth it. Plus it's actual auto body paint. I love that smell.

Sent while I should be doing something else

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
We have several auto body supply stores that will match the paint exactly. It's usually about 16-20 dollars a can, but worth it. Plus it's actual auto body paint...
Also, if you are doing more than just a little bit of painting, you might as well ask where their quantity price break is. Could be at as low as 5 cans. There are worse things than having an extra can or two of matched paint hanging around for next time when your all done!

Nice thing about matched paint is, it helps compensate for ten or more years (depending on how new/old and 'exposed' your truck is) of weathering/fade on the original factory color

Last edited:

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I painted my tailgate handle used Duplicolor Adhesion promoter primer and Duplicolor Oxford white with Duplicolor clear and it too is off a little. If I was to do it again I would add a white primer between the adhesion promoter and the Oxford White.

I applied four coats of the Oxford White and three coats of clear.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
It could be the clear coat messing you up.

Robert

posted using a old 2600 Atari.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Its hard to get a perfect match, in fact, paint manufacturers will tell you its impossible, it actually really is, a color never matches perfectly, a color may look good, but its never going to be perfect, paint companies will always have multiple variations of one color code. Oxford white is such a widely used color, it was used on so many different vehicles, sprayed at so many different factories, over so many years, that there is tons of variants, duplicolor just happened to have the variant in the can that doesn't match your truck.

That being said, Duplicolor is owned by Sherwinn Williams, I use Sherwinn automotive paint at work, and it sucks when it comes to color matches. Mainly its because they don't have any manufacturer accounts. All the manufacturers use either PPG, DuPont, or BASF on new cars.

I would do what Shane suggested, find a paint jobber that does aerosols (not all do), and have them mix some up for you, they can pull out color chips and match up the right variant for your truck.

I painted my tailgate handle used Duplicolor Adhesion promoter primer and Duplicolor Oxford white with Duplicolor clear and it too is off a little. If I was to do it again I would add a white primer between the adhesion promoter and the Oxford White.

I applied four coats of the Oxford White and three coats of clear.
If its covered it's covered, a white primer wouldn't really change anything.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The acrylic coating you sprayed caused the paint to yellow. Its typical. If you want clear, you either much use lacquer clear ( in a can ) or get some "real" automotive clear . . but that means no spray cans typically ( there are some high tech cans that can be ordered online ). Your cheap acrylic typically yellows whatever it is on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals