• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My truck starts, sputters, then dies 3.0L 1999

amanda11270

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, over the past few days, my truck has needed to be cranked longer than the norm to start, but it would run okay, and today, me and my family went on a hiking trip 30 miles away and upon arrival my truck suddenly sputtered out and died, no engine codes at all. I keep my OBD2 tool in the glovebox. It would immediately restart, but then die immediately after. I got it towed home and It would restart, then sputter and die again quickly, but not as quickly as when it first stopped. The longer it sits, the better it starts and revs, but regardless it will sputter and die in 30 - 60 seconds usually now. It will even rev normally a few times before dying if it sits long enuf. I replaced the fuel filter about 2000 miles ago, and did a complete tune up at that time also, every thing but the ignition coil. But since my truck is throwing no codes at all, im thinking the fuel pump is out. That is a big job though, before I start Anyone have an idea of if this sounds like the fuel pump? Thanks

rustybolt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check to make sure the fuel filter was not installed backwards. There's an arrow printed on the filter, make sure it's pointing toward the engine. I would also inspect the fuel lines for any sign of damage (compressed or crushed).

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or the $11 fuel pump relay.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
check the fuel pressure...

amanda11270

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I have never actually tested a fuel pump before, but today I went out and bought this kit that attaches to the fuel rail port, and it says my truck has 55 psi at the rail, when you shut the truck off it slowly drops almost to zero but not quite, then when you turn the key or restart it it goes back up to 55 again. And also since the truck sat overnite it now runs fine. Yesterday after driving it, it would only sit and sputter, then eventually die. And it wasnt overheated. I think the pump maybe getting flaky and if I actually drive it anywhere it will fail on me and leave me sitting. Anyone else have this problem. The truck still has no trouble codes at all in the OBD2.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if youve got pressure i doubt if its the pump. in my experiences fuel pumps dont come and go, they are there or theyre not.
Id try testing the coilpack, my truck had similiar symptoms when mine went out.
Beef

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump relay ma'am, it could cause symptoms like these, and it's only $11.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals